By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

2 weeks post surgery and worrying about going back to work next week

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Randallle

2 weeks post surgery and worrying about going back to work next week

Post by Randallle »

Hi,

I am 2 weeks post surgery from having my left fallopian tube removed (it had also ruptured).

Mentally I am starting to feel better and come to terms with it all. However physically, my wound sites are still uncomfortable I can only wear loose pj bottoms and I feel internally bruised still.

I am due back to work next Tuesday and I am starting to stress about whether I am ready to go back and what they may think if I don't go back yet?

I am still unable to drive because of the discomfort of my left wound when trying to use the clutch and unfortunately my job is office based so would need to drive there.

Sorry for the long post it's just been eating me up stressing about being due back at work.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Leah xx

Viain

Re: 2 weeks post surgery and worrying about going back to work next week

Post by Viain »

Absolutely do not go back until your ready! I had nearly 2 months off and was still sore when I went back! Don’t feel rushed or pressured into going back until your ready, work will still be there x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Leah,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. Whilst I usually suggest that recovery is an individual process, I have to agree with Viain that it does seem early to be thinking about going back to work.

Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task. You have also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.

You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

With regards to returning to work, surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.
A few options may be available depending on the role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?
Many women experience pain after surgery and this can be the case weeks or months after the trauma. Pain is the body's sign to rest and it is important to be guided by this and taking it easier if you experience discomfort.
In addition, it is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and undergoing major surgery. Please speak to your GP about having further time off work if required.I

Above all be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally. We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Randallle

Post by Randallle »

Thank you both so much for your responses this has really helped me to understand. I will listen to my body and take as much time as I need.

Thanks, Leah xx

Kirstyp

Post by Kirstyp »

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and had my left tube removed via key hole. I am due to return to work next Monday which will be 4 weeks post op. I'm still having some pains and emotionally a bit of a wreck and find that I am very tired throughout the day. I have tried little trips to the supermarket with my partner just to get out and moving a bit. I work in a children's nursery and I'm head of the 2-3 year old room. I had a sick note from gp for 3 weeks and have let my employer know I will be returning on the 18th October 2021, but I'm starting to worry how I will cope with 9hour shifts and looking after 16 little ones every day. They are aware I cannot do heavy lifting etc but just worried about how I will cope. Also worried to let them know I need more time off as my absence has left them short staffed. Any advise of what to do.
I don't think a phased return will be possible due to staff child ratios etc.