By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Wait and see method/conservative management

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Vickij

Wait and see method/conservative management

Post by Vickij »

Hi all,

I was told on friday that my pregnancy was eptopic and was admitted to hospital and was waiting for surgery. At the time I was given 2 options, medication or surgery. Thankfully the ward was short staffed and i didn't end up having the surgery that day. On the Saturday I spoke with a different doctor who examined me and agreed that I was not in a lot of pain and mentioned the third option, conservative management where I have routine bloods to monitor it.

I really want to avoid surgery where I can and I feel like I am at the tail end of the ectopic pregnancy. I assumed that I was experiencing a painful heavy period and didn't realise what was happening until 2 weeks later. I wondered if many others have opted for this approach and how was it? The idea of having a tube removed is terrifying for me and I really want to try this option before having surgery or medication.

Thanks
Vicki

EPT Host 20

Re: Wait and see method/conservative management

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Vicki,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
There is no right or wrong way for treatment. It will all depend upon your individual circumstances.
Whilst expectant management and treatment with methotrexate can feel drawn out at times, it isn't as invasive as surgery.
It can take anything between two weeks and three months, for your hCG levels to fall back to a non-pregnant level but, for most women, hCG levels have reached a non-pregnant state within around four weeks.

We have more information on the different treatments here
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/treatment/

Do try to rest, we advise to avoid heavy lifting and strenuous exercise until your levels have dropped, and as always, I Advise to seek urgent medical advice with any worsening pain, or you feel dizzy and unwell.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

alexg

Post by alexg »

Dear Vicki,

I found out on Monday that I had an eptopic pregnancy and as I wasn't in a lot of pain I was fortunate enough to be able to opt for the wait and see / conservative management. I did end up being monitored in hospital for two days on Tues/Weds as I was quite unwell, but after a second scan it was put down to fluid in my abdomen from the eptopic and all my symptoms have subsided again.

So far I've had blood tests every 48 hours and my hcg level is dropping. I too wanted to avoid surgery and so far it seems to be heading in the right direction (feels so awful saying that), but I find having to return every two days really quite traumatic, like reliving it all over and over again.

I really hope everything works out for you. X

Vickij

Post by Vickij »

Thank you for your replies, the hospital discharged me my levels dropped from 175, 165, 127 to 19. It took just over a week to get to that stage. I feel really relieved I didn't have to have the surgery, I noticed the light bleeding seemed to stop 2 weeks after my first time in the hospital

I'm so glad you have been able to avoid the surgery and the medication, I hope things have remained stable over this week xx