By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

First Time Ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Abararia

First Time Ectopic pregnancy

Post by Abararia »

I have a very asymtomatic EP, initially I took a shot of methotrexate last week when my numbers were 692 . The first three days were crampy , painful and tiring . Eventually I got better thinking my numbers will reduce on the fourth and seventh day . But I was so devastated hearing that my numbers were 2140 and 2849 respectively , I am taking my second dose tomorrow but all this really makes me anxious and worried . Is it normal for the first dose to not work?

EPT Host 20

Re: First Time Ectopic pregnancy

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Abararia,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
As you have hopefully been told, the hCG level often rises on the day four blood test because the action of Methotrexate is not instantaneous. Your doctors are looking to see a drop in your hCG value of at least 15% between days four and seven. If there has not been a 15% drop, this is when the doctors will consider a second dose of Methotrexate or surgery.

Every 3-7 days, beta hCG levels will continue to be monitored to ensure that they are falling appropriately. Most women only need one injection but in up to a quarter of cases a further injection may be required if serum hCG levels are not decreasing.
I am hopeful that this second dose will work for you. You should still be attending for regular blood tests and if course please report any unusual abdominal pain or bleeding or you start feeling unwell.

I will be thinking of you and am sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team