By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Post- Op Question regarding exercise

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Mags2021

Post- Op Question regarding exercise

Post by Mags2021 »

Hi everyone
I just have a question regarding returning to normal activity after surgery
I had a laparotomy 4 weeks ago for my ectopic pregnancy.
I was told to allow up to 6 weeks to return to work/ activity etc..
I was wondering if enough time has passed for me to walk my dog? He’s a terrier and can pull a bit on the lead, so I don’t want to hurt myself etc!!
I’m sorry if people think this is a silly question but the daily walk with the dog has always been my time for headspace!! I feel I need it badly!
I was just wondering when others returned to this type of activity, I feel I’m able, my abdomen is still tender to touch where the incision was but I don’t have any pain walking etc and not taking any meds.... I’m just a bit nervous
Any experiences or advice would be appreciated
Thank you!

LJC-87

Re: Post- Op Question regarding exercise

Post by LJC-87 »

Hi Mags2021

I totally get where you’re coming from.. not a silly question at all!
I had my surgery last November and for someone who was walking the dog daily as well as running 3 or 4 times a week prior to this I couldn’t wait to get back out there for my own sanity!
At such a difficult time that time for headspace is so important!
Personally I was back out walking the dog after 3 weeks, I just started slow and gentle and listened to my body and what felt ok. Didn’t take long to build back up to my normal walks and was out running again by 6 weeks.
Hope this helps, would say just go what feels right for you as long as you’re not over doing it too soon.
Xx

Mags2021

Post by Mags2021 »

Hi LJC -87
Thanks so much for your reply and for sharing your experience.
It is good to know that you are back to your routine now too- I think it’s an important part of the process for trying to cope with a difficult situation.
Thanks for your advice, definitely going to to head off in the morning with the dog, thanks for the reassurance!
Xx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Mags,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Generally speaking with surgery, please allow time for your body to heal internally after the invasive procedure. If you had keyhole surgery, you could start gentle exercise within two weeks of the operation. If you had open surgery then you should wait six weeks for your abdomen to heal.

When resuming exercise, activities like gentle walking or swimming are usually safe as long as the wounds are healing or your hCG levels are low, as these are non-impact sports. If you feel ready for a walk and it will also help you mentally then you could try a short walk at first and build up slowly. Remember that pain is a way of your body telling you to rest, so if you develop pain, ease back on your exercise intensity.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team