By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Am I going mad?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
mrsrobbo20

Am I going mad?

Post by mrsrobbo20 »

Hi all,

I found out I was pregnant for the first time ever in October last year. Just over a week of being in a happy and excited bubble, it burst when I got the most horrendous pain on the left hand side of my pelvis. After a trip to A&E, scans and blood tests, they found my little baby on my left fallopian tube. I was successfully treated (eventually) with methotrexate and my HCG levels dropped to 7 by the end of November. They advised me to wait 3-6 months before trying again, but because of my height and weight, air more on the side of caution and wait longer if we could. So that's what we've done. We started trying again two weeks ago. I'm due my period this Saturday so of course I've no idea if I am pregnant yet. I'm not pinning my hopes on the first time again, as I'm very aware that although we were "lucky" to fall pregnant first time, despite it not ending happily, I could have issues/take longer to fall pregnant again.

However, I suppose the main reason to my post is that I've been feeling some slight pain/tingles in both shoulders during the past week. Nothing to majorly complain about and no need for painkillers but I'm worried/confused. The last time I was pregnant, I found out on a Wednesday, started spotting on the Sunday, had more blood on the Tuesday/Wednesday and then the horrific pain on the following Thursday. At no point though did I ever have the shoulder tip pain symptom.

At this moment in time I've no idea if I'm pregnant, and I won't be taking a test until I'm at least 4 days late if that's the case, but is it possible for me to have signs of another ectopic, before even missing a period/being able to confirm pregnancy. I'm worried that it's all in my head, because of the anxiety and worries I have about falling pregnant again.

I don't even expect a proper answer, I suppose I'm just looking for similar experiences.

Thanks in advance! :?

EPT Host 20

Re: Am I going mad?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear mrsrobbo,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Unfortunately I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice on your queries.
The diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy may sometimes be difficult, and symptoms may occur from as early as 4 weeks pregnant and up to 12 weeks or even later, so it maybe a little early to tell just now.

Shoulder tip pain in ectopic pregnancy is also quite specific and I have added this information from our website.
Significant shoulder tip pain tends to develop with other symptoms such as feeling unwell, abdominal pain or vaginal bleeding, faintness, abdominal bloating and fullness, pain when opening your bowels.
It is caused by internal bleeding irritating the diaphragm (the muscle in your chest which helps you to breathe) when you breathe in and out. Shoulder tip pain is exactly where it says – not the neck or the back but the tip of your shoulder. If you look to the left over your shoulder and then cast your eyes down, the tip of your shoulder is where your shoulder ends and your arm starts.
Shoulders cause pain when we are stressed because we hold ourselves more rigidly and muscles in the back and neck go in to spasm or you may have slept in an awkward position – this is most likely not shoulder tip pain related to an ectopic pregnancy. Shoulder tip pain is very distinctive. You know when you have it because it is a very weird pain you have probably never experienced before.

There can of course be other reasons for shoulder pain and I would suggest trying some over the counter pain relief per packet instructions, gentle hear to your shoulder/upper back such as a wheatbag that you put in the microwave and gentle mobility to hopefully ease your symptoms. If it does not ease, please speak to a medical professional and if it worsens seek urgent medical advice, especially if the shoulder tip pain is coupled with bleeding, abdominal pain or you feel dizzy and unwell.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team