By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Experiences of Methotrexate in the weeks after injection

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Nat81

Experiences of Methotrexate in the weeks after injection

Post by Nat81 »

Hi all. I’ve posted on here before about my current situation. I’ve had 2 doses of MTX the 2nd injection was 2.5 weeks ago. The general side effects have eased but my levels are still at 524 down from 2300. I’m having a review on Tuesday as the doctors would like to see the levels come down quicker.

I’ve had pain on my right side which varies, I’ve been in once for it and luckily I hadn’t ruptured but this week it’s getting worse like I can feel something there now, it’s dull and goes into my lower back. I’m managing it with paracetamol which helps. It’s not so bad that I’ve called the hospital.

Is it normal to have this pain if the MTX is working or is this just the pregnancy getting worse? Most things I’ve read suggest you get cramps after 4-7 days but this feels different. Is this just the way it is until it resolves?

I’m so scared of rupturing I feel like I’m going crazy each time I experience pain

RosieT_12

Re: Experiences of Methotrexate in the weeks after injection

Post by RosieT_12 »

Hiya,

I hope you are doing ok.

I had 2 doses of methotrexate last October following my ectopic and my pain got a lot worse after the second injection. I was unable to move from my bed without being in pain (lower stomach aches, right side pain, nausea etc). I spoke with the hospital and they advised me that some people just experience quite a lot of pain/ side effects but there was nothing to worry about.

I think we all react to the injections differently.

If your levels are falling you should be ok but definitely contact the hospital if you are worried. I called them numerous times and they were so helpful and ensured I was ok. It took nearly 12 weeks for my HCG levels to fall!

I hope your recover quickly and well 💕

Nat81

Re: Experiences of Methotrexate in the weeks after injection

Post by Nat81 »

Thank you Rosie, wow 12 weeks! That’s such a long time to be going through such an awful time. It does seem to be after the 2nd injection I’ve had so many more side effects. I ended up calling the hospital last night and went in to get checked. I feel like a pain but they said call them anytime the pain increases. They scanned again and finally saw the pregnancy in my right tube. We have never seen it. That’s where I get all my pain. Was good to finally know for sure. They gave me some codine for pain should I need it.

Rosie did you just rest for the 12 weeks? When did you start to resume normal activities? I’ve been resting trying not to lift, not exercising, I have a heavy 2 year old it’s been hard. Feel so weak but it doesn’t help I’m so inactive too x