By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Periods after medical management

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.

Periods after medical management

Post by 1987 »

Hi

I had two shot of MX and had a bleed from 25th May to the 30th, my levels this Tuesday were 191, so I guess the bleed cannot be classed as my period.

I would if possible like to know when your periods returned after medical management please?

How soon after reaching 0?

Thank you.

Esb27

Re: Periods after medical management

Post by Esb27 »

Hey, so sorry this happened to you :( was it your first ectopic? Yeah it doesn’t sound like that would be your period as it’s too soo after the shot and they do say that the first bleed you have after the shot (whether it’s one day or 14) is usually to do with the methotrexate not period.

I only had one shot of methotrexate on 1st April for my ectopic (levels at 1900), bled pretty heavily on day 4-6 then it stopped luckily. I never actually knew what date I got down to 0 but I was signed off on 21st April as my levels were at 1.5 so I’m guessing it was a couple of days after that. 3 weeks and one day later my period showed up (which was 6 weeks since I had the shot)

Make sure you start taking folic acid when you do get down to under 5.

Hope this helps and you are okay x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear 1987,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
You are right in that The bleed you are currently having is a response to treatment and is not classed as a period.
Your periods can take a while to re-establish and they can re-start anything between four and ten weeks after treatment. Most find that their period arrives some time in the four weeks after their hCG levels have fallen to below 100 if treated without surgery.

As a gentle reminder following Methotrexate, you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL (your doctor will advise you when this is through blood tests) and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Post by 1987 »

Thank you for your replies

Yes it was my first ectopic, my HCG was in the 4 thousand and something range when I had my first shot and was still rising as to why I had to have the second shot, my levels then dropped to 879 then 191, I think I may have two more weeks of tests because I don’t think that on Tuesday when I go back it will be 25 or below which is what it needs to be in order for me to be discharged.

My trying to conceive journey is over for now, after having 4 back to back miscarriages and chemicals, then the I’m tired and just want to focus on being happy and loving the children I do have. Also broke up with my partner so the chances of having more children for now is very slim.

Do I take the folate even if I’m not trying again or is that only if I am?

Sorry this has happened to you also *hugs*

Esb27

Post by Esb27 »

Ah sorry to hear about the break up :(

Oh no need to take folic acid if you aren’t trying anymore, that was just if if you wanted to keep trying to ttc.

Once you are discharged you can start to heal and move on, it’s nice not to think about all these things once it’s done.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery journey!

Kriluma

Post by Kriluma »

Sorry you have to be in this board. My levels went to 9 on the 2nd of June and I was discharged and told I can start having my vitamins. 3 days after I started having a period like bleeding, I feel its too early but on my last scan when levels were at less than a hundred the nurse said to me my right ovary had follicles ready, and I might have ovulated before the levels dropped to zero?! The period was heavier than my normal and started with spotting. I suggest you take folic acid no matter if you want to ttc or not as its a crucial vitamin to feeling ok. You should be on deficit after two injections. Take them for 3 months. Good luck x