By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

First ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Lydia

First ectopic pregnancy

Post by Lydia »

I am going back in the morning to confirm if my pregnancy is ectopic before treatment but my doctor was very clear that it was highly unlikely that the pregnancy was viable.
I’m trying not to get my hopes up but has anyone had a 17mm sac with 98,000HcG levels that was empty and went back to good news two days later?
If not how long did you take off of work after treatment? I have a really long day at work Saturday and if things aren’t good they will give me the injection on Friday afternoon. Would it be dramatic to let my work know that I can’t make it in (with a doctors note) or is that a normal thing? I worry I’ll be too emotional on top of the pain? Any suggestions?

EPT Host 22

Re: First ectopic pregnancy

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Lydia,

I am so sorry that you are going through this worrying time. I am glad that you are being seen today, and encourage you to take it easy and look after yourself. Everyone is different in how they respond to MTX treatment. It is very important that you are continued to be followed up with blood tests. This will determine the decrease in hcg. While you are waiting for your hcg levels to decrease, it's important to take it easy.

Most people take time off from work initially and do not return to work for at least two weeks while the treatment begins to work. Your hospital can give you a certificate to refrain from work for your employers or the Department of Social Security, so you can claim sickness benefit if you are entitled to it. The EPT suggests that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. We would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.

A few options may be available depending on the role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?

You know your body the best, and while the hcg levels are decreasing, it's important to be mindful of your symptoms until you reach non-pregnant levels, under 5mIU/mL, as there is unfortunately still a chance of rupture. The symptoms of a deteriorating ectopic pregnancy, which include worsening or progressively increasing pain; vaginal bleeding; shortness of breath; feeling faint; and pain in the tip of the shoulder among others, may become noticeable. If you suffer any of these symptoms you will need to be reassessed. Your hospital would give you a number to contact for health advice if you feel that anything is changing, or you will have been told to report to the Accident and Emergency Department (A&E). If you have not been told what to do and need to speak to someone ring the hospital department which is treating you or the NHS 111 Service by dialing 111.

No matter what, we are here for you whenever you need. Please know you are not alone and take all the time you need to look after yourself and recover. We are here for you whenever you want to talk.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team