By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Three Ectopic Pregnancies in 2 years

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
apoda44

Three Ectopic Pregnancies in 2 years

Post by apoda44 »

Hi everyone…

Just wanted to take the time to share my story- which unfortunately isn’t a very positive outcome but I know that like myself- there are so many women scouring the internet for any and all information that can help provide some kind of “reality” to their situations when there are so many unknowns, or even comfort in knowing they’re not alone in their experience.

I have previously had two ectopic pregnancies- both treated with surgeries. First was Dec 2019. I found I was pregnant at about 4.5 weeks and had surgery just shy of a week later. I had extreme cramping on my right side and a variation of bleeding and spotting both red and brown discharge that started a day after the positive test. My HCG levels were also telling in that they were just under doubling every 48-72 hours. They were able to save my right tube and remove the pregnancy.

The second was November 2020. I found I was pregnant at about 4 weeks (day of missed period) and all seemed perfect. HCG levels doubled perfectly, no cramping or spotting. My doctor recommended no ultrasound until I was further along (8 weeks) even though I begged to be seen earlier. It wasn’t until that 8 week ultrasound that they discovered it also was ectopic. It was too large to repair my tube at that point and they removed my left tube with the pregnancy.

Fast forward to June 2021, I found out I was pregnant again the day of my missed period. Extremely faint positive that grew darker in 2 days. It was confirmed with my HCG levels (and the doctor also checked my progesterone) and a repeat HCG— my HCG levels tripled.

About three days later I experienced painful cramping localized on my right side- I automatically understood what was happening but still needed to convince others because it wasn’t “typical ectopic symptoms”. Called my OB after hours and they let me know to rest/take a hot shower and if it doesn’t resolve to go the ER. It ended up resolving after an hour of resting and I remained hopeful that this could be normal.
The next morning I woke to brown discharge in my underwear. Called the OBs office and they recommended an ultrasound in 2 more weeks but if the bleeding became heavier or my pain became worse to again go to the ER.
I decided to go to the ER anyway for some imaging to see if I could get reassurance that this pregnancy was finally in the right place (my uterus!).
The ER saw that my HCG tripled every 2 days once again. But found nothing (no sac) on the ultrasound (PUL or pregnancy of unknown location). I was told to go home and schedule with the OB for an ultrasound in 2 days or come back to the ER for an ultrasound. That I was perhaps too early to see (mind you my HCG was 3267 at this point and I was 5 wks + 4 days by first day of LMP) with the ER doc letting me know he’d seen pregnancies hidden up until 5000 hcg! Oh how I wished this was the case for me (BUT that being said, I’ve read many stories that docs have recommended treatment without FINDING the PUL- ladies please never ever let this happen to you).

Well, today marks the 2 days- the OB office was able to get me in this morning and found my pregnancy in my remaining right tube- this time a gestational sac with two yolk sacs (twins). <\3

As I write this to share with this amazing community, I am back in the ER waiting for surgery to remove the pregnancies. I will be asking my doctor to save what they can of my tube but given that this is now my 2nd ectopic in this tube they may very well remove it- which would leave me without any tubes and only IVF or adoption to look towards if my husband and I still want to pursue being parents.

EPT Host 20

Re: Three Ectopic Pregnancies in 2 years

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear apoda,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancies and losses. To experience one loss is difficult, to deal with multiple losses is heartbreaking and my heart truly goes out to you.
Depending on the outcome, of your treatment, take the time you need to decide on trying to conceive again. When this is is individual for us all, there is no timeframe for recovery, take each day as it comes.

It is totally exhausting going through this again and we are all here for you.
Take all the time you need to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally.

Sending much love and gentle hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team