By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Pain/ discomfort around scar after surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Mags2021

Pain/ discomfort around scar after surgery

Post by Mags2021 »

Hi everyone
I had surgery for an ectopic pregnancy about 11 weeks ago. It was emergency surgery and I had a laparotomy- abdominal surgery, not keyhole.
I’ve starting experiencing pain around the scar area just recently, like a throbbing pain. And it area seems quite warm..
just wondering if anyone has experienced this? I’ve read on the forums about ovulation pain, and it’s around ovulation time for me now.
So if anyone has experienced this, any advice or thoughts would be welcome.. I’m just wondering do I need to contact my doctor or is this normal enough for such experiences?
Many thanks for any help in advance xx

mowakasha

Re: Pain/ discomfort around scar after surgery

Post by mowakasha »

Hey!

I literally am coming on here for the very same reason. I have pain where my right tube was every time I get my period and then at random times throughout my cycle like ovulation. But when I get my period my right side is often very sore at first. My tube removal was November 2020.

I think it’s maybe scar tissue/adhesions but wondered if other people have this. It’s horrible! As if the ectopic wasn’t bad enough you get reminded with pain where the ectopic was!

Maybe it’s just a horrid aftermath…

Mags2021

Post by Mags2021 »

Hi Mowakasha!
Thanks for sharing your experience- good to know I’m not imagining it!!
Yeah I have definitely experienced more discomfort with my periods since the surgery..
and definitely more aware of discomfort around the scar area this month..so maybe it is scar tissue/ adhesions like you suggested…

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and have tried any creams or ointments to help soothe the scar area?

Certainly an irritating reminder Mowakasha!
Hopefully you’re feeling much better otherwise- thanks again for your reply! 😊

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Mags and Mowakasha,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancies and losses.
As you have both rightly mentioned, experiencing some pain after an ectopic pregnancy is normal as your body has been through a great deal over the last few months. The pain may be due to adhesions (scar tissue that binds two parts of the body together) which form and take some time to settle. Your body may be preparing to ovulate and many women experience ovulation pain when they did not before their ectopic pregnancy - including myself. You also may have a heightened perception because of the sad loss that you have had to go through.
Mags, you mention it is feeling warm, If you feel the area is warm to touch, The skin looks red, it is oozing from any sound site or you develop a temperature I would advise speaking to a medical professional as these can be signs of infection.

You could take over the counter pain relief per pack instructions and If the pain persists, I suggest keeping a pain diary noting when the pain appears, the intensity on a scale of 0-10 and anything that helps the pain eg resting, hot water bottle, paracetamol etc. Visiting your doctors with this information helps them to assess how best to manage your symptoms.and

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team