By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

My experience 💜

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Dems23

My experience 💜

Post by Dems23 »

MY STORY-

On the 13th June I found out i was expecting baby #2, I told my partner & we were both shocked and happy to say the least … I was so overwhelmed with happiness, had so many of the symptoms morning sickness was a killer from early on which I thought was strange as I never had that with my son the first time, but just thought it was a symptom of pregnancy.
I had my first midwife on Tuesday and we completed the general health checks and I had my bloods taken. I told her I was getting some spotting (light brown at the time) she stated it was Normal and could be due to hormone changes, but to keep an eye and if it ends up heavy then to report straight to a&e.
End of the day I noticed heavy bleeding so I go straight up to a&e for them to take a pregnancy test and send me home with a number of the gynaecologist to get an appointment as there was nothing they could do at that time. I then go home with complete anxiety worrying if our baby is okay.. I wake up the next morning to ring the gynaecologist for an emergency app .. the only one that they have is for Thursday .. I wasn’t happy at all but I had a private scan booked for the Friday at a private clinic so I ring them instead.. I tell them of my worries and ask if they can please see me today (Wednesday) to which they was like yes please come in at 1.30 … me and my partner both waited so anxiously to be called in.. I lay down and she begins to look for the baby, I can tell by her face it wasn’t looking good.. she then asks if she can give me an internal scan to which I agree. She then looks at me and apologies but she cannot find a baby but my left Fallopian tube doesn’t look right and she suspects it could be an ectopic pregnancy. She advises I go straight to a&e, to which We get straight in my car and go straight there.. I’m only allowed in due to Covid, got my partner outside waiting anxiously.. and after what seems like forever I get called in and I then show them my referral information.. doctor explains to me that they have to keep me in to monitor me as my HCG levels are above 9000 which is not normal in the slightest. I then get put to westham ward in newham general, I was petrified and so anxious.. doctors wasn’t telling me much, a nurse came round every now and then to check my blood pressure etc and put me on a fast in case I was to be rushed to theatre. The next day around 11 I get called to go and get my scan done, I’m in the scan clinic waiting for near enough two hours then finally get seen.. I lay down on the bed to which a nurse who was so kind held my hand and stroked my arm, the doctor was looking for what felt like a life time. He then turns to me and says can I show you what I can see, to which I say yes, I then ask if my baby is in my tube to which he replied I’m so sorry but the baby is in your tube and your levels of hcg is very dangerous you will need to go into theatre today. I then ask what will they do? To then the doctor replies that because of my levels of hcg they will need to remove my tube as it’s so high I cannot receive the drug to let it try and pass naturally. I didn’t get the option to save my left Fallopian tube, I was told it HAD to go.. if it doesn’t get operated on today it could be life threatening. Imagine being so overwhelmed with excitement to know your about to have another baby , to then being told your baby has to come out along side with your Fallopian tube otherwise you can die ?, that night at 8.00pm I got rushed to theatre, kissed my partner and held his hand and went through them doors alone. The doctors was so sympathetic and amazing. Once out of theatre I had a big cry and had a cuddle with the nurses who was my rock throughout my hospital stay (Eghe I will never forget you ! You were amazing from the start to the end with my care & so was the rest of your team, the nurses on west ham ward were amazing, so kind and sympathetic from the start 💜) These past few days have been the hardest to come to terms with I ain’t going to lie and the pain after surgery has been one of the worst pains I’ve been in and I’ve had **-section before so I know pain. An ectopic pregnancy happens to 1 in 80 women and unfortunately I happened to be that 1. Life just ain’t fair sometimes but I have to be positive in this dark situation and be grateful I’m okay. I’m writing my story not for sympathy but to shed some light on how real this is and how it can simply happen to anyone. Whilst I’m healing I hope I can help others going through this or experiencing child loss no matter how far your baby was a loss is a loss and my heart goes out to anyone that has gone through or is going through such a hard time due to losing their baby 💜

EPT Host 20

Re: My experience 💜

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Dems,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. You have been through a huge amount in such a short space of time and it is very normal to feel overwhelmed. From your words, I can imagine how frightening the experience must have been and I am sorry you have had to go though this.

Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task. You have also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.
You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

Thank you for being so brave and sharing your experiences, you are among friends here who understand what you have been through and how you are feeling and we will be here for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team