By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Methotrexate side effects

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Drewj

Methotrexate side effects

Post by Drewj »

Hi,

I have just been discharged from hospital following a week of an Ectopic diagnosis, monitoring and a decision for medical management.

I just wanted to know some experiences with the side effects. At the moment I feel very crampy and extremely tender in my abdomen. It feels like painful trapped gas. This morning I laid on the bathroom floor after taking paracetamol as I felt so nauseous and was experiencing contraction like pains. Is this normal am? I am so terrified of a rupture :(

Drewj

Re: Methotrexate side effects

Post by Drewj »

Drewj wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:03 pm
Hi,

I have just been discharged from hospital following a week of an Ectopic diagnosis, monitoring and a decision for medical management.

I just wanted to know some experiences with the side effects. At the moment I feel very crampy and extremely tender in my abdomen. It feels like painful trapped gas. This morning I laid on the bathroom floor after taking paracetamol as I felt so nauseous and was experiencing contraction like pains. Is this normal? I am so terrified of a rupture :(

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Drew,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
It is normal to feel pain, exhaustion and tiredness following Methotrexate injection for ectopic pregnancy
I have added more information on side effects here-
https://ectopic.org.uk/treating-an-ecto ... hotrexate/

I would advise taking pain relief as prescribed (it is advised to avoid anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen with methotrexate injection).
If the pain doesn't settle with the medication or worsens, especially if you feel unwell, I would strongly urge you to seek urgent medical advice as there is sadly a risk of rupture even with low or declining levels. You can do this by contacting your EPU, calling NHS111 or attending A&E if you are very concerned.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

SarahHa

Post by SarahHa »

Hi drew!

So sorry you're going through this, and hope you have a good support system during these times. I've had two doses of methotrexate, one last Sunday and another yesterday. I was only dizzy, with painful headache, eyes sensitive to lights, and sometimes period like cramps. I was informed though that extremely painful cramps (like someone cutting your arm, as one doctor described) should be reported directly to yoir doctor for urgent follow up.

I hope my experience helps, and wishing you a speedy recovery. Xxx

Drewj

Post by Drewj »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I'm sorry that you are going through this too!

What were/are your HCG levels? When the decision for medical management was made my levels were 3,500.. day four bloods have risen to 5,400. I'm so scared! I hope they will fall by day 7 to show that the treatment is working.

Xxx

sjcoco84

Post by sjcoco84 »

Hi!

It’s totally normal to see a rise on day 4, u did. My levels rise to 940 from 640 then dropped to 777 day 7, then down to 114 a week later. The shot takes time to work, so please don’t worry! A 15% decrease is what you want to see on day 7. They may drop quite quickly then. Take it easy, don’t put to much pressure on yourself to do anything! It’s your time to relax. I really hope everything goes ok, which I’m sure it will x

SarahHa

Post by SarahHa »

Heyya sorry just saw your reply. My levels were at 400. I was informed its ectopic since it was 40 hcg though so I "catched" it pretty quickly. I really hope you're well now, please do send us an update?

I'm currently very worried as my hcg is still 280(although declining) but I'm having my period already, lots of cramps (my cramps are pretty awful ,like crying awful), in normal periods so it's hard to tell if this is a red flag). Anddd I have swollen eyelids. What is this from, no clue. I'm travelling out of country tomorrow and I'm honestly so scared. I really hope we all get past this, and this is just a memory. I'm sending everyone whos reading positive energy , unicorn hugs, and rainbows. :)