By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

8+ weeks post methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Riggers88

8+ weeks post methotrexate

Post by Riggers88 »

Hi all so glad I found this site. Hoping for some advice/ reassurance from others who have experienced the same thing.

I had methotrexate injection in May (just over 8 weeks ago) my levels took a while to drop but after about 4 weeks I was discharged from the care of the hospital as my levels dropped below 7.

I’m yet to have my first period since this treatment, on a fairly regular basis over the past few weeks I’ve been getting period type pains worst than I used to get and I’ve had the odd bit of spotting but no real period, is this normal? I thought I would have had a period by now.

My husband and I are in no rush to try to conceive again for the time being I guess I just want to know things ‘have got back to normal’

I know the hospital said the medication can still be in my system for up to 12 weeks but I thought by now things may have returned.

Thanks all in advance xx

SarahHa

Re: 8+ weeks post methotrexate

Post by SarahHa »

Hi there!

I had my first dose of methotrexate 1 week ago, and I had another one yesterday but my numbers were not decreasing but are originally low (highest was 483 since i last tested yesterday).

Doctors told me I should have my period once the number drops below 5, and I should abstain from sex until then (although not super sure if I'll be following up on that advice as I see conflicting options online).
Since you're at 7 now, I imagine it will happen in a week's time hopefully? Wishing you a speedy recovery. Xx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Riggers,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
It is not unusual for women to bleed after treatment for ectopic pregnancy. This first bleed after treatment is a response to falling hormone levels and involves shedding of the uterine lining and is not classed as a period. The length of the bleeding can vary from woman to woman and some women do report spotting and bleeding for up to around six weeks after an ectopic pregnancy.
While this is usually nothing to worry about, if you find that the bleeding increases so that you are soaking more than a pad in an hour or have offensive smelling discharge or body temperature of more than 37°C, or your pain worsens please do get medical attention

Your periods can take a while to re-establish and they can re-start once hCG levels have fallen below about 100mIU/mL and most women find that their period arrives some time in the four weeks after their hCG levels have fallen to 0 if treated with Methotrexate, but this is an average and may take a little longer for some.
I would suggests seeking medical advice if you haven't has a period after 8 weeks after your discharge from care.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Nat81

Post by Nat81 »

Really sorry for your loss. I also had 2 injections in may. On the 9th and 16th and got my period this week. Since my second injections I’ve had 1 big bleed and then a 5 days break then more pain and another small bleed and then a week of nothing then my period. In that time I’ve had pain like period pain but also on my right hand side. I think it’s just a case of things getting back to normal. I wouldn’t say this period has been normal. It’s been heavy and longer but I guess our bodies have gone through a lot and getting back to normal slowly. Hope you’re feeling ok x