By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Due my doctors app this week and need help

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Dems23

Due my doctors app this week and need help

Post by Dems23 »

I have my doctors app this week but when I left the hospital I literally didn’t ask no questions just literally took my discharge papers and left, I’ve got a few questions and I know we ain’t medical experts but I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions ?
1) my hcg was 9398 in the hospital and they said they was gonna check my bloods before I left but they didn’t , how will I know my hcg has returned to normal ?

2) is there any appointments I have to go to now or is there any scan to follow up and make sure everything’s ok since surgery?

3) how long do I need off work? Don’t want to push myself back into it too quick

Thank you x

paulinavx_1

Re: Due my doctors app this week and need help

Post by paulinavx_1 »

Hi. I don't know your specific medical situation so I cannot comment on it so please contact your GP if you're unsure.
In my case, I didn't have hcg checked after surgery and they didn't offer me any post surgery appointment or check out. However, I was advised to contact a hospital or GP if something's worring me.
Regarding going back to work, I had keyhole surgery and returned to work after 2 weeks since I felt physically ok and my work doesn't involve manual handling or standing for long hours. I also felt that going back to work was good decision for me as I needed some sort of distraction. But I took first 2-3 weeks very easy. However, I believe that you should do what feels suitable for yourself. If you don't feel ready, please don't push yourself to go back to normal activities too early.

EPT Host 20

Re: Due my doctors app this week and need help

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Dems,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss.
From your post, I am presuming you had surgery to remove your tube. If so then a lot of hospitals don't offer appointments following surgery, and it is not common to be offered testing following a first ectopic pregnancy in the UK.
If your tube was removed, sadly the pregnancy is removed along with the tube, once this happens your hCG level will start to fall. If you are concerned you can complete a home pregnancy test around 4 weeks after surgery but do not panic if it is still positive as this can happen.
We have more information on what to expect following surgery had-
https://ectopic.org.uk/treating-an-ectopic-pregnancy/

With regards to returning to work, surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.
A few options may be available depending on the role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?
Many women experience pain after surgery and this can be the case weeks or months after the trauma. Pain is the body's sign to rest and it is important to be guided by this and taking it easier if you experience discomfort.
In addition, it is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and undergoing major surgery. Please speak to your GP about having further time off work if required.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team