By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

'Trapped wind' symptom

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Laura31

'Trapped wind' symptom

Post by Laura31 »

Does anyone know what the link is between bowel movements and ectopic? When I had mine, it felt like the most painful trapped wind and have read that others have felt this too.

I also now feel wind-related pain on the side where I had my ectopic through my usual cycle, has anyone else experienced this?

EPT Host 20

Re: 'Trapped wind' symptom

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Laura,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Unfortunately I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice on your queries.
I think the bowel changes during ectopic pregnancy are probably part of the shock to the bodily system.
Abdominal pain is common following ectopic pregnancy as your body has been through a great deal. If you had surgery, The bowel can be a little sluggish following anaesthetic and may account for some pain. The pain may also be due to adhesions (scar tissue that binds two parts of the body together) which form and take some time to settle. Your body may be preparing to ovulate and many women experience ovulation pain when they did not before their ectopic pregnancy - including myself. You also may have a heightened perception because of the sad loss that you have had to go through.
also
If the pain persists, I suggest keeping a pain diary noting when the pain appears, the intensity on a scale of 0-10 and anything that helps the pain eg resting, hot water bottle, paracetamol etc. Visiting your doctors with this information helps them to assess how best to manage your symptoms.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Catlady138

Post by Catlady138 »

Laura31 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:17 pm
Does anyone know what the link is between bowel movements and ectopic? When I had mine, it felt like the most painful trapped wind and have read that others have felt this too.

I also now feel wind-related pain on the side where I had my ectopic through my usual cycle, has anyone else experienced this?
I had the most painful bowel movements during my methotrexate recovery period! It felt like trapped wind, and then would subside afterward. I discussed it with my doctor, and she didn’t have any real answer. It was likely just swelling and pressure from the ectopic pregnancy putting stress on the whole digestive system, since all of those organs are so close together.

I was never able to get a real answer, but it gradually went away. It was such horrible pain and really concerning at the time.

Laura31

Post by Laura31 »

Thanks for your reply. Yes I've also asked a few doctors who haven't really been able to explain it either but the pressure makes sense.
Have you noticed a change post recovery? I now feel really aware of trapped wind on my ectopic sign

Catlady138

Post by Catlady138 »

I think the issue pretty much resolved itself when I reached a nonexistent hcg level. But I do remember having some general discomfort still. I’m sure it will just take some time for it to completely go away, for swelling to go down everywhere. It’s been about 3-4 months for me now and I don’t have any of those symptoms anymore. My period is really different now, but that’s a whole other topic. :lol: If it’s not one thing, it’s something else.