By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Alcohol and methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
kayleigh1994

Alcohol and methotrexate

Post by kayleigh1994 »

Writing this seems so ridiculous but I had my first dose of methotrexate Monday, after having a absolute nightmare of 3 weeks back and forth not knowing what’s going on with my pregnancy it was finally diagnosed as a ectopic. I have a festival booked for Saturday that’s been booked for months and I could really do with at least 1 or 2 alcopops. What’s the reason they say not to drink and if I’m only having 2 is that relatively safe?

Bookworm

Re: Alcohol and methotrexate

Post by Bookworm »

Hi Kayleigh me again!

I believe the reason is that methotrexate can cause liver damage and even (in extreme cases) liver failure so adding alcohol to the mix is a bad idea as it could heighten that risk.

kayleigh1994

Post by kayleigh1994 »

Ah that’s very very [censored word] haha. Thank you

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Haha tell me about it, I really want to go out for food and cocktails to perk myself up a bit but got another week to go!

kayleigh1994

Post by kayleigh1994 »

Yep I definitely need a night out with the girls to cheer me up after this

FeeFeeO21

Post by FeeFeeO21 »

Does anyone know if you have to avoid alcohol for the full three months after the injection? I was not fully clear on the advice on that and also on avoiding folic acid once your HCG levels have returned below 5.

kayleigh1994

Post by kayleigh1994 »

Hi lovely hope your ok. I was told no alcohol till finished treatment and levels are below 5 and I was told I needed to take folic acid once they reach that level to x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Kayleigh,
It is advised that you should refrain from drinking alcohol until hCG has fallen to a non-pregnant level and not drink alcohol for a few weeks after that. It is due to the methotrexate's affect on the liver and adding in alcohol could cause damage to your liver.

We have more information on methotrexate here-
https://ectopic.org.uk/treating-an-ecto ... hotrexate/

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team