By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Hoping for a reply before Monday

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Bookworm

Hoping for a reply before Monday

Post by Bookworm »

Hi

This is about my 4th post in the forum as I’ve gone through and continue to go through my ectopic pregnancy in my left tube.

I have now been under the EPU for 5 weeks and I am not getting better. Quick summary is that I opted for methotrexate because nothing was explained to me properly at the time. First injection didn’t work and had second 12 days ago. At first was pleased as HCG was dropping steadily 3888 day before second 2121 on Thursday of this week. However, I am having a lot of pain particularly on the left and my lower back and leg and I’m bleeding heavily.

I had a scan Thursday TV which confirmed no free fluid anywhere but I’ve called the hospital today as nobody went through my scan results with me and they’ve told me that the mass has now grown. It was 1.4cm the day before the second injection and is now 2.5 and ‘elongated’.

At this point I feel frankly traumatised by my experience. I won’t write about my entire experience until it is all over but safe to say my treatment at the hands of this hospital has not been good from rude and disinterested staff to waiting up to 8 hours shut in a room with no food and water to see a doctor who then basically sends me home.

I feel now that I am 99% sure I would like to have the laparoscopic surgery to remove the pregnancy and probably the tube as well. The pain has become unbearable and I am now into my 4th week off work due to pain and bleeding, even though I do an office job from home I’m finding that sitting anywhere except in my bed is too painful. I’m also finding that the low folic acid diet is aggravating my IBS so I’m having a lot of trapped wind and painful bowel movements and have now got pain when urinating. Not to mention that I’m passing a lot of gruesome stuff vaginally. I really feel at the end of my rope.

So I guess I’m hoping to get some reassurance from people who have had laparoscopic treatment for ectopic. How bad was it? How long did it take before you could go back to work and how long after that to resume normal activities. Such bad timing but we bought a house in May and are due to complete at the end of this month and I’m wondering if I’m going to be well enough to clean & decorate the new place even if I don’t get involved with lifting anything.

My second question is a bit of a weird one. On Thursday after the nurse rang with my hcg and failed to give me the results of my US, she said to me: ‘if the pain gets worse ring us back or go to a&e but bear in mind the consultant we have here currently doesn’t do keyhole surgery
So you will have to be opened up for major surgery’. This obviously terrified me and is the reason I’ve not gone back with the pain I’m currently experiencing. My question is, if I insist on surgery on Monday and there are still no doctors available who do keyhole surgery will
I be able to request that I am seen at a hospital where there is a keyhole surgeon available? I know it is supposedly patients choice but I also know what a nightmare it can be to actually get anything done that is allegedly a choice.

Any answers or advice before I go in Monday morning would be much appreciated x

Roisin_90

Re: Hoping for a reply before Monday

Post by Roisin_90 »

Hi Bookworm

So sorry to hear of your traumatising time.
I am currently experiencing my first ectopic pregnancy and needed the laparoscopy surgery. I am currently 5 days past the surgery. The surgery itself was fine. I was left with 3 small wounds on my lower abdomen. I was sore for the remainder of the day after the surgery but got plenty of pain relief for it. I was able to get up , go to the bathroom and move about right after it. I was sore and weak but I just rested plenty. I was discharged the next day. I was uncomfortable but not in agony or anything. Every day gets easier. The wounds are small and manageable. The pain isn’t bad at all. I just take paracetamol which settles any aches and I’m able to get up and move. I don’t go too far or push myself too hard but I don’t feel traumatised over it like I thought I was going to.

Unfortunately for me the surgery didn’t work and I ended up getting the methotrexate yesterday. (They couldn’t find the pregnancy product in my tubes -but everyone is so different). Hopefully you can get relief to your pain. It’s such a scary experience and I hope it eases for you soon. Sending you so much love and strength xxx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Bookworm,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss and of this late reply. I hope you have some answers today,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Hi both thank you so much for replying it’s been a [heck] of a week and I only just got chance to reply myself.

I went on Monday fully geared up to insist on an op and ended up getting shut in a room for hours waiting to see a doctor after the first doctor said he knew nothing about my case. In the end I walked out of the hospital and came home and contacted PALS. After liasing with PALS over the past few days I got to speak to a consultant on the phone last night who was really kind and talked through all my concerns. I was then given an appointment for this morning to have a physical examination and chat with a registrar as well as another blood test.

Registrar is happy with how I’m presenting but my HCG is still at 1328 so it’s dropping but very slowly, it was 3888 at its highest 10 days ago and 3 days ago was 1612 so not dropping as quickly as I’d like. Back for more bloods on Monday.

Lulz

Post by Lulz »

Hello!

Saw this and wanted to share my experience somewhat similar to you.

I found out I was having an ectopic around 5/6weeks. I was offered methotrexate and not wanting surgery I decided to go ahead with it. After my first jab I went home and had to return every other day to the hospital for bloods and hcg checks. All was looking well slow decrease. I returned for my final bloods and they decided my hcg levels were not decreasing enough. I therefore had to have a second dose. This one effected my mental health a bit. I felt deflated at this point.
Again, I returned home...3 days afterwards I was out and about...I experienced excruciating pain and a cold flush and collapsed on the floor unable to move I was taken straight to hospital. It was shown that I ruptured my left fallopian tube and had to have emergency surgery to get it removed.

That was 3 years ago...

Now I'm here typing this to you pregnant naturally with my 2nd child. From being after my surgery that I may need to consider IVF to seeing my first scan of my baby in the right place.
Please please keep hope. If you have any pain or blood go straight to the hospital.
Please remember this is not the end for your natural pregnancy either. Far from.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Bookworm,
I am glad to hear that you are finally receiving the care you deserve and I am sorry you have had to go through all of this.

I am sorry your levels are taking a while to reduce and I am afraid it is difficult to predict how long it will take for your hormone levels reach non-pregnant levels. As we are all individual, our bodies respond differently to the drug and it depends on factors like how high levels reached and our unique physiology. What I can say is that it can take a number of weeks and, while it can take some time, it is not as invasive a procedure as surgery. It is also encouraging that your levels are falling steadily although I appreciate that it can be a drawn out process. Also, in terms of chances of future successful pregnancies, studies do not show a significant difference between treatment routes, whether surgical, medical using methotrexate or expectant management (allowing time for the body to resolve the pregnancy itself).

Be kind to yourself and I hope you have a bigger drop tomorrow.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team