By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Covid-19 vaccine after methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Talon23

Covid-19 vaccine after methotrexate

Post by Talon23 »

Hey all,
I was hoping to hear some info on whether any of you have received the covid-19 vaccine after methotrexate. I am almost two months out from two methotrexate shots after an ectopic pregnancy. I know there is limited research so I was hoping to hear some real experiences. ❤️

EPT Host 20

Re: Covid-19 vaccine after methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Talon,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss.
I'm afraid I cannot give you any personal experience but this is on our website

I had methotrexate treatment, my levels have returned to non-pregnant, and have been offered the COVID-19 vaccine. Do I need to delay taking the vaccine?

According to doctors, the doses of methotrexate used to treat ectopic pregnancy are low and unlikely to result in low white blood cell count (white blood cells defend against infections) and so unlikely to cause issues with the vaccine. If you have any concerns, you could ask your doctors to carry out a blood test for a full blood count and check before being vaccinated. There are no studies/data about this and so it is impossible to give a definitive answer. However, the general view is that there is no reason to delay.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

maria5

Post by maria5 »

Hello Talon23,
I am so sorry for your loss. I received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks before my methotrexate shot. I received my second dose of Pfizer 5 weeks after my methotrexate shot. I was told by the medical professionals this was fine so I went for it. xx

Talon23

Post by Talon23 »

maria5 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:21 pm
Hello Talon23,
I am so sorry for your loss. I received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks before my methotrexate shot. I received my second dose of Pfizer 5 weeks after my methotrexate shot. I was told by the medical professionals this was fine so I went for it. xx
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!!

Talon23

Post by Talon23 »

EPT Host 20 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:46 pm
Dear Talon,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss.
I'm afraid I cannot give you any personal experience but this is on our website

I had methotrexate treatment, my levels have returned to non-pregnant, and have been offered the COVID-19 vaccine. Do I need to delay taking the vaccine?

According to doctors, the doses of methotrexate used to treat ectopic pregnancy are low and unlikely to result in low white blood cell count (white blood cells defend against infections) and so unlikely to cause issues with the vaccine. If you have any concerns, you could ask your doctors to carry out a blood test for a full blood count and check before being vaccinated. There are no studies/data about this and so it is impossible to give a definitive answer. However, the general view is that there is no reason to delay.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Thank you so much for replying and providing information.

SarahHa

Post by SarahHa »

Hi Talon, did you get any offline advice on this?
I'm also opting out getting the vaccine, I can sense my body is too weak and I prefer taking multi vitamins for at least a few weeks before going through with vaccines. I'm also mostly not going out and get to work from home so that helps.

Talon23

Post by Talon23 »

SarahHa wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:15 pm
I'm also opting out getting the vaccine, I can sense my body is too weak and I prefer taking multi vitamins for at least a few weeks before going through with vaccines. I'm also mostly not going out and get to work from home so that helps.
I have not yet. I’m going to see a new doctor next week and plan to discuss this with her. I will post after my visit with her. I didn’t feel there was any point in asking my previous doctor, they didn’t give me any info when I received my methotrexate :(

Talon23

Post by Talon23 »

SarahHa wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:15 pm
I wanted to post an update. I had a follow up with a new Doctor who I love! She assured me it is safe to get the vaccine after methotrexate. I got the moderna vaccine a little over a week ago and have done really well, I only had a sore arm.