By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Post op symptoms

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Est92

Post op symptoms

Post by Est92 »

Hello, I’m new here.
I found out I had an ectopic pregnancy on Sunday and went in for surgery hours later to have a tube removed. I am now 4 days post op and they have been terrible. I can hardly move, I’m in so much pain and I just started bleeding today. Also my breasts are extremely sore- is this normal?
I feel sick and mentally not coping as this was my first time pregnant
Would someone be able to confirm these symptoms are normal. The pain is excruciating and it’s even woken me up a few times

EPT Host 22

Re: Post op symptoms

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Est92,

I'm so very sorry to hear that you've gone through an ectopic pregnancy and loss. I too had surgery for my ectopics.

Recovery from an ectopic pregnancy can take some time and is very individual. As much as I wish I could give you more certainty, as we are so unique, I am afraid there isn't a timeframe as such. It’s important to remember that there is nothing you could have done to prevent an ectopic pregnancy. What I can say is that as the days and weeks pass, you will begin to feel more like yourself again and although the journey may be a bit of a shaky one - some days will be ok, some not so ok - please do be kind to yourself and allow yourself all the time and space that you need to heal.

If the pain relief doesn't help, heavy bleeding occurs or you have an increased body temperature of more than 37°C, you should seek medical attention. To assist, you could keep a diary of your symptoms - what you are experiencing, if there is any pain and where, its intensity and anything that helps like rest or pain relief, and noting when your period starts. You can also speak to your doctors sooner, taking these notes with you a GP appointment and the details will help your doctors best manage your symptoms. It is always better to get checked out to be on the safe side.

Your surgery is still very recent, and I would encourage you to take the time to look after yourself and rest. Ectopic pregnancies are emotional and physical traumas, and it can time some time to recovery. Be well and know we are here for you.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Em1993

Post by Em1993 »

Hello,

I am sorry to hear your news but I promise you will get better.

I had my Fallopian tube removed in April and felt unwell for about 10 days. I remember my stomach feeling so extremely weird and I couldn’t go to the toilet (number 2) or fart! It was [heck]!

One piece of advice I would give it to make sure you leave your stitches alone and don’t bathe, just have quick showers if you need to and pat them dry right away. If you can help it keep your stitches as dry as possible. Mine got infected and have left more of a scar than they should of.

Definitely keep a diary of how you’re feeling each day but don’t put pressure on yourself to feel okay, you won’t, and that’s fine.

I wish you all the best, rest & take easy ❤️

CarlyMarie90

Post by CarlyMarie90 »

Hi Est92

You are not alone. I had surgery on Wednesday to remove my pregnancy and right tube. This is my first pregnancy.

Please be kind to yourself; you have been through a lot and everything will be okay.

I find that having little goals daily helps (tomorrow is shower day as I stink!).

I fear that my mental health is going to spiral. I am trying hard to accept what has happened to try and prevent this.

Try to keep your strength up by having plenty of fluids and food, little and often and don’t overdo things. Even a walk to the toilet is great progress.

I find that general care is helping me. I’m trying to keep brushing my hair and wet my face when I feel I need a freshen up.

It’s okay to feel lots of emotions-you have been on a rollercoaster ride. I sat on the toilet yesterday and sobbed my heart out (first cry I have been able to have as my stomach has hurt too much to cry). It was a cry that hurt deep within me but it felt good to get it out!

If like me your stomach has been so painful, take it easy. I am finding that little exercises in bed are helping (nothing too much just the odd wiggle of my feet and neck).

I also have an app on my phone which I am finding helps. It’s called ‘motivation’-its an app of all positive quotes. Perhaps you could get it and I hope it helps you as much as it does me.

I think you are doing really well so far. Just hang on in there and things will get better. By reaching out to this forum is a step in the right direction to help you have the support you deserve.

Just remember you are a wonderful person and things will be okay.

Take care,
You’re new forum friend, Carly

Est92

Post by Est92 »

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice ! The bleeding has slowed down and I’ve been able to do more walks (still taking it slow) but things have improved physically.

Mentally- I’m feeling a bit more hopeful for the future now. I do have bad days but I guess that’s to be expected. Thank you all ❤️

SarahHa

Post by SarahHa »

Hi Est,

I am sorry you had to go through this. I had my right tube removed 2 weeks ago. The symptoms you mention seems like mine and normal. I had so much difficulty even moving from on side to another in bed. It's the gas they put in us fir surgery lol. The pooping took a few days to return to "normal". My doctor told me I needed to walk around the house as much as I can, drink lots and lots of fluids, and squeeze like I never did in the bathroom 😌. Once you get the gases out things will look up. At least physically.