By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Injection- how you felt afterwards

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Viain

Injection- how you felt afterwards

Post by Viain »

I know obviously everyone will be affected differently blah blah but physically how did you feel after having the injection? I had my first dose this afternoon (second ectopic, had surgery 1st time) had injection about 7hours ago and last few hours have been spent feeling a bit dizzy/sick and just generally bleurgh 😔

Roisin_90

Re: Injection- how you felt afterwards

Post by Roisin_90 »

Hi,
I had my injection last Saturday for my first ectopic. The injection was sore getting it, then I had nausea for the rest of the day. I felt zapped of energy for a while. A week later, I’m having mild abdominal pains. (The doc checked it out and said it’s just the side effects of Mx). Still feeling a bit rotten (nothing specific) but definitely on the mend

kayleigh1994

Post by kayleigh1994 »

I felt really sick the first day, and sooo tired for a few days. I had some pain and heavy bleeding but most stopped after a week

R123

Post by R123 »

Hi all.
I've just joined after being diagnosed with my first ectopic last week (11th August), around Week 6 of my first pregnancy. Although the diagnosis of ectopic was a shock, I'd suspected a miscarriage and therefore was ready for a bad outcome to be honest as I'd been having persistent bleeding pretty much every day throughout pregnancy, which is still ongoing today.

I was told that I was a good candidate for the expected management approach as my HCG level was only 443, progesterone very low, and foetus very small, suggesting that my body was already starting the recovery process. In the space of 7 days I had further HCG tests and another scan. To my disappointment, my HCG levels increased (443, 500, 643) and the scan showed the pregnancy had grown slightly. The Dr said we could still continue to wait and see, but acknowledged the direction from labs wasn't ideal and continued to warn me of the risk of rupture. I'm beginning to think if we made the decision too prematurely, but we agreed to take MTX as I was really concerned about rupturing or requiring surgery to remove tube if things progressed quickly whilst waiting (I.e., if delaying MTX could cause this route to be taken off the cards later).

This is Day 4 post MTX and I haven't had any major, obvious symptoms. The injection itself was pretty straightforward and painless bar the usual initial sting I had very mild abdominal cramping the evening of Day 1 but felt this was too soon post treatment so put it down to the ectopic symptom itself. I woke up with pins and needles the day after in my right arm but I had slept on it elevated so this could have happened anyway!
I'm actually wanting to feel some painful cramping as then I'd at least feel like it's working! I'm going into the hospital today to get HCG test, will update you later!

It's nice to know that there are other people going through this at the same time and are active on this forum 🙂. I don't like uncertainty so I'm finding the waiting game quite unnerving!

I'd be interested to know what advice others have been given regarding how long to wait before trying to get pregnant again after MTX. I've been told 6 months, but everything I read online says 3 months. I feel 3 months isn't too bad, but 6 months makes me feel anxious and very frustrated. We already delayed things by 1 year due to covid so I'd hate to have to delay by 6 months again, especially as I don't have regular periods so every month feels like a big deal 😔.

Thanks all
X

kayleigh1994

Post by kayleigh1994 »

Exactly the same as me!

I was told 6 months by a nurse in the hospital, another told me just to not try for a month or two, another said ‘a while’ and all info online says 12 weeks after starting folic acid. That’s what I’m going with personally

Viain

Post by Viain »

I was told 3 months to let your body recover and the effects of the injection to go and let everything normalize all levels etc that are affected by it

R123

Post by R123 »

Hi all.
I've just had may MTX Day 7 HCG results back which has shown a nice decline (504 to 239, -52%). Yay!

I started feeling a bit dizzy on Day 4 and have been a bit headachy since Day 4, very mild tummy cramping but nothing much. I haven't had any pains to complain about so generally all good. Per guidance, I'm avoiding folic acid foods completely as this can counteract the effects of MTX!

The nurse confirmed today that I just need to wait 3 months from MTX last dose until trying to get pregnant again (not 6 months). However, I'd always say to listen to your own doctor as the advice may be different if you've had multiple doses or have other risk factors (e.g., liver condition), and obvs I'm not qualified to advise 😜