By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Good news story

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
pammy

Good news story

Post by pammy »

Hello good people,

I have had two ectopics, which I'll detail below, and I spent a lot of time on this website looking for a sign that things might be ok. I thought I would share where I'm up to now in the hope that it might help anyone out there searching for hope.

Dec 2017- first pregnancy, very exciting! I began to bleed lightly, and didn't think much of it until my best friend (a midwife) drilled in to me how serious it might be, so I was on the look out for pain. When it showed up I went straight to the hospital. Scans showed it was a tubal ectopic and my left tube was removed. My husband was actually away at the time and it was a couple of days before I could contact him to talk through the surgery/methotrexate decision, but we eventually made contact and went with surgery. He made it to the hospital the morning of my surgery, so that was a relief. Our wedding was four weeks away, so that served as a distraction of sorts.

14 weeks following the surgery- fell pregnant again. Unbelievably grateful to have a healthy and straightforward pregnancy that resulted in the most beautiful and health bundle of little baby girl. She was born Dec 2018.

Conceived what we were hoping would be our second in Dec 2019, and it felt like perfect timing. Given my history I was on top of it and went straight in for bloods and scans (I had only just stopped breastfeeding and my periods were irregular, so I wasn't too sure on the dates, though I had been recording them religiously). There was about 10 days of emotional speculation, peppered with doctors, radiographers, and pathologists. I am in the country and drive around a lot, sometimes over an hour out of town, so I had to tell my boss I had to stay in the office until I knew what was going on. He was great about it.

I hadn't had any bleeding but began to feel a dull ache at what turned out to be about the six week mark, and off we went again to the hospital. They couldn't find anything in the uterus, but couldn't find anything anywhere else either. HCG was high enough that methotrexate probably wouldn't work, and it would very likely rupture in the meantime. So surgery it was, but it was exploratory in that they had to look around and try and find it. They suspected it was on the outside of the uterus, so I had to sign the paperwork saying that anything up to and including my uterus would be removed, depending on the need. Worst case scenario was the pregnancy was on the outside of the uterus and they would have to cut it away, then if they couldn't stop the bleeding (as it's more or less a flat surface compared to a tube), they would have to remove the uterus. Very scary, as other users have said. My poor husband had to drive home with our one year old thinking that it might just be the two of them. Not likely, but possible.

A few hours before I was going to surgery, it ruptured. I was already on the surgical ward and by the time I was taken down to the theatre I had already lost 1L of blood. Turns out my remaining tube had picked up the egg, deposited it in the correct spot, and then the egg had squirmed back into the stump of the one that was removed, (tubal stump ectopic) which does happen sometimes but is very rare. So I was left with one functioning tube and a serious revision of my plans for having a large family.

We were advised that we could try again as soon as the HCG was down to 0, and within about three months I had conceived again. I was feeling pretty hopeless and the HCG readings weren't rising like they should have been. Those agonising periods of waiting for news seem to me to be harder every time. This time I was sure that it was bad news again; I had been feeling off and the HGC numbers pretty much told me and the doc that the best I could hope for was a straightforward miscarriage.

Somehow, unbelievably, it was a healthy pregnancy. The HCG numbers were some sort of anomaly, and everything looked fine. It took me a few days to get my head around it, and then I spent the rest of the pregnancy thinking something would go wrong. But it was a worry free pregnancy, fairly uncomplicated delivery, and we had a healthy little baby boy.

Although I know that all situations are different, I wanted to share this to offer some hope to those searching for it. If anyone reading this has a good news story, please do feel free to add it. I think all the time about how lucky we are to have our two little loves, and I hope that some good luck finds its way to everyone who has felt the need to search these forums.

Est92

Re: Good news story

Post by Est92 »

Wow thanks so much for sharing this. Definitely gives some hope. Congratulations and sorry you had to go through all that ❤️

R123

Post by R123 »

Thank you for sharing your story ❤️.
I'm so glad you managed to have 2 beautiful babies despite all the pain and troubles along the way. You've shown there is hope!

I'm currently waiting for HCG levels to drop to 0 after MTX treatment, and we hope to try again in 3 months or so. I know we'll be very worried next time round and praying this doesn't happen again. X

SarahHa

Post by SarahHa »

Thank you very, very much for taking the time to actively participate in this forum while not having an active EP and just to share good news. That is truly very kind of you!

I'm only 2 weeks post operation where they removed my right tube and I often think of the future, and not in a nice way. I keep on thinking my body failed me once and it could do it again. I know I shouldn't think that but I cannot help it.

I wish you and yoir family all the love and happiness. And I wish us all in here the same. X

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Pammy,
Congratulations on your pregnancy and Thank you so much for taking the time to write this post. You can already see how much it helps others.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Becca09092021

Post by Becca09092021 »

Thank you so so much 💜
I can’t say any more than that. I was feeling so hopeless today and you have made the world of difference x