By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Laparotomy / open surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Bookworm

Laparotomy / open surgery

Post by Bookworm »

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any links to information to support after open surgery (not laparoscopic). I had open surgery on Friday to remove my ectopic as well as my left tube. The hospital didn’t give me anything to go home with that would advice me beyond the genetic ‘rest for 6 weeks’ and despite searching online all I can seem to find is information about recovering from laparoscopy. Can anyone help? I feel quite alone in having this type of surgery at the moment.

EPT Host 22

Re: Laparotomy / open surgery

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Bookworm,

I wanted to share this flyer on Surgical Management in the event you hadn't yet seen it: https://ectopic.org.uk/static/23d10f23c ... gement.pdf

There are also a number of previous posts from women who have had laparotomy. It is the more traditional surgical method and is still used in cases when laparoscopy can not be used. I have not come across any different recovery information. The rest and wound care would still be paramount, even if the wounds are of different sizes. I would imagine there is a similarity to recovery from **-section, which includes rest, wound care, avoiding heavy lifting/exercise, and being gentle with your movement getting up from chairs/going up and downstairs.

As I'm not medically qualified, I cannot comment on your specific situation, but hope these resources provide some more certainty for your physical recovery. We are here for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

SarahHa

Post by SarahHa »

Hi Bookworm,

I'm so sorry to read you've went through this. I believe I saw previous posts of you earlier here. I had laproscopy 2 weeks ago so not the same as you, but if you search online there is some information on yoir surgery. I know it's not a doctor, but as we can all agree in this forum, most of us did the research ourselves at points. I can see everyone mentioning the 6 weeks rest, and other than that it's same post operation recovery advice as for laproscopy.

S

SarahHa

Post by SarahHa »

Oh I also had my left fallopian tube removed, FYI. I've read yoir tube was removed too. I know how you feel, well, maybe. Each pain is different but it might help to know I went through this 2 weeks ago and physically feeling better.

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Thank you Sarah I’m really sorry to hear you lost your tube too :(

I think my main thing has been knowing what I can and can’t do as I start to feel better. I’m getting quite restless even a week post op! The wound is painful, my husband made me laugh this morning and my god it was awful but I couldn’t stop. But I’m going a bit stir crazy sat around resting all the time. :(