By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

hCG levels after 2nd methotrexate injection

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sunny21

hCG levels after 2nd methotrexate injection

Post by Sunny21 »

I have received my 2nd methotrexate injection for an ectopic pregnancy. Initially my levels didn't fall between day 4 and day 7 but after doing another hCG level on day 9 they started falling so my 2nd shot was postponed. I was then told after yet another hCG on day 11 and 13 that while my levels had dropped, that they weren't going down fast enough and was given a 2nd shot. Overall from day 4 to day 13 they had dropped by 34% and I am just wondering does anyone know what kind of drop rate is acceptable after the 2nd shot? Anything I have looked up just refers to the 15% drop between day 4 and day 7 on the first injection. I am a bit concerned that they will now suggest surgery if certain hCG targets aren't met. My level at time of the 2nd injection was 1200. Has anyone else had a similar experience where the 2nd shot was successful and at what rate the doctor expected levels to decrease?

EPT Host 20

Re: hCG levels after 2nd methotrexate injection

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Sunny,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Your doctors are looking to see a drop in your hCG value of at least 15% between days four and seven.
I am afraid it is difficult to predict how long it will take for your hormone levels reach non-pregnant levels and how quickly it happens. As we are all individual, our bodies respond differently to the drug and it depends on factors like how high levels reached and our unique physiology. What I can say is that it can take a number of weeks and, while it can take some time, it is not as invasive a procedure as surgery. It is also encouraging that your levels are falling steadily although I appreciate that it can be a drawn out process. Also, in terms of chances of future successful pregnancies, studies do not show a significant difference between treatment routes, whether surgical, medical using methotrexate or expectant management (allowing time for the body to resolve the pregnancy itself).

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

vanessa5643

Re: hCG levels after 2nd methotrexate injection

Post by vanessa5643 »

Hi Sunny,

Four days ago I received my 2nd dose of MTX. My HCG levels were not dropping fast enough so I had to get a second shot. Today my levels hav e decreased from 900 to 600 (since last Friday). I will get my HCG levels tested again on Thursday and hope they continue to go down so I do not have to consider surgery.