By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

PUL anxiety

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Treena65

PUL anxiety

Post by Treena65 »

Hi everyone, I'm currently experiencing a PUL and finding it so terrifying.

At six weeks pregnant I started bleeding heavily and assumed I was having a normal miscarriage. I was upset but prepared myself for it. They got me in for a scan which showed an empty uterus and I had HCG of 195 and told me it was in fact a PUL.

It's now been 10 days of more tests and scans:

2nd blood test - HCG 135
3rd blood test - HCG 206

2nd scan yesterday and still nothing visible

I'm having another blood test tomorrow and pretty sure HCG won't have gone down enough as my body just doesn't feel right.

The one thing I haven't had at any point is pain aside from some slight tenderness on left side during an internal exam.

I'm desperate for a resolution - after tomorrow's test they will discuss a plan, they mentioned medicine or possible surgery but I'm so terrified or having tube removed or having some damage to my body that will affect future pregnancy. I'm 34 and so don't have years and years ahead to try.

I was mentally prepared for a standard miscarriage - I could have dealt with it fine. But these complications and the fact it is dragging on is just so hard. I cry every day and finding it hard to talk to people as I don't want pity, I just want my health back x

MrsLondon2021

Re: PUL anxiety

Post by MrsLondon2021 »

I'm so sorry you're going through this... I am in no way any medical expert, but if your HCG is only 206 at 6 weeks I'd say you are heading for a miscarriage, perhaps there is something there still. I know its so horrible.

Keep us posted on your next blood tests.

My hcg with my ectopic was 25,000 at 7 ish weeks. It took 5 weeks after surgery to sink to >5 so it can be a slow process. Hang in there, sending love xx

EPT Host 20

Re: PUL anxiety

Post by EPT Host 20 »

dear Treena,
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
Not knowing what is happening to our bodies can be extremely overwhelming and you have a friend here who understands. Whilst I was not diagnosed with a pregnancy of unknown location, I was admitted to hospital with a ? ectopic pregnancy on a Friday evening of a bank holiday weekend so I had to wait until the Tuesday to be informed that I was indeed having an ectopic pregnancy and it really was the most anxious wait.

It is important to understand that Pregnancy of unknown location - (PUL) is not a diagnosis; it is a label given until the final location of the pregnancy can be identified with certainty. In the event of a PUL, blood will be taken to measure serum progesterone and hCG and the hCG test repeated 48 hours later. The doctors would also want to repeat the scan.

Until the location of the pregnancy is known definitively or the serum hormone levels have decreased to below pregnancy levels, there is a risk of complications associated with an as yet undiagnosed ectopic pregnancy. Whilst I do not wish to alarm you, for every 100 pregnancies labelled as a PUL about 10 will subsequently be found to be ectopic; but not all of these will need treatment. If treatment is required, (methotraxate injection or surgery) this will depend on the results of blood tests and scans and I would discuss this further with you Dr.

We would gently remind you to not undertake any strenuous exercise or lifting or housework while your hCG levels are dropping. While I do not want to alarm you, there remains the risk of rupture even with low or declining hCG levels. You should not resume exercise until your hCG levels are falling consistently and are in the low 100s.

I am sorry that I cannot provide you with more precise details but I hope all becomes much clearer over the forthcoming blood tests and scans.

We are here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team