By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Counselling post ectopic pregnancy surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
anastasia

Counselling post ectopic pregnancy surgery

Post by anastasia »

Hi everyone
I’ve just suffered from my second ectopic pregnancy loss and surgery and struggling to know how to deal with it. I am blessed to have a 1 year old baby boy who keeps me very busy which is great but it also means that I never have time to grieve the loss and deal with the trauma of the surgery. I’d like to see a Councellor but I don’t know how to go about finding one.
Does anyone have any recommendations? Particularly for one based in North London close to N2 (East Finchley).
Thank you

EPT Host 20

Re: Counselling post ectopic pregnancy surgery

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear anastasia,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancies and losses. To experience one loss is difficult, to deal with multiple losses is heartbreaking and my heart truly goes out to you.
If your loss is very recent, I would say that whatever emotions you are dealing with are completely normal. following ectopic pregnancy, we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense, please be kind to yourself. There is no time frame for recovery, take each day as it comes.
Having said this, I too had counselling following my ectopic pregnancy which was extremely beneficial. It made me realise that although we will never forget our pregnancy or babies, we can learn to accept what has happened and crucially understand that it wasn't our fault.
Being a charity we cannot recommend individual counsellors, however you can speak to your GP about local NHS facilities.
The charity Mind may also be of assistance. They have local centres and support groups and can offer services on a means-tested basis or sometimes free. You can find your local centre following this link if that may be useful too: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/

We also operate a helpline service and there's no pressure whatsoever but if you would ever like the opportunity to speak over the phone to someone who has been through a similar experience, do feel free to call, details are below. We can take things at your pace entirely and you are free to ask any questions that are on your mind. You can talk about the ordeal you have been through and express your feelings to vent and let off some steam. We can exchange emails too, if you prefer that route. We'll simply be here for you, however you wish and for as long as you wish.

We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Bookworm

Re: Counselling post ectopic pregnancy surgery

Post by Bookworm »

Hi

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss.

Just wanted to pop an answer on to say your GP should be able to refer you to NHS funded counselling and also you can try Googling IAPT services in your area as you can usually self refer to them without seeing your GP first.