By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Periods after Ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Jodie80

Periods after Ectopic

Post by Jodie80 »

Good evening everyone

I just wanted some advice/hear from people with similar experiences…

I’m a 41 year old woman and have a 6 year old son. I’d decided to try for another child and fell pregnant quickly. Unfortunately in May this year I was told the pregnancy was ectopic. Thankfully after 2 days in hospital the unsuccessful pregnancy resolved itself without the need for any kind of medical intervention.

My first bleed following the ectopic pregnancy was some 8 weeks later. I assumed maybe naively that after that first period my cycle would return to normal. My periods have always been regular as clockwork 28-29 day cycles. Since May I have only had 2 periods and am currently on day 40 of this cycle waiting for my period!

Did it take this long for anybody else to get back to their “normal??” following an ectopic pregnancy?

Thanks in advance x

EPT Host 22

Re: Periods after Ectopic

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Jodie80,

I'm so sorry to hear that you have had to suffer an ectopic pregnancy and loss. Many women find changes to their periods following treatment for ectopic pregnancy.

In regards to resuming a period, there can be considerable variation between women. Your periods can take a while to re-establish and they can re-start anything between two and ten weeks after treatment. Most women find that their period arrives sometime around week six or seven after surgery, and at some time in the four weeks after their hCG levels have fallen to 0 if treated with Methotrexate.

It may be the case that your period will take a bit longer to return, and even then, it may not be on the same schedule as before. It might be heavier or lighter and it may be more painful than normal. The period after that is usually more like your normal pattern. However, although there is no medical reason for it, women do very often report some irregularity to their cycle for several months after an ectopic pregnancy.

Broadly speaking, doctors consider menstrual (period) cycles of between 23 to 42 days to be within normal parameters. If the first day of your last period was more than 42 days ago, make an appointment with your doctor to discuss the possible reasons for this.

With good wishes,

Michele

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team