By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Conceive Plus and Ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sarahkate8

Conceive Plus and Ectopic

Post by Sarahkate8 »

Hey! So I have a bit of a strange story that’s either just very bad luck, or a horrible mistake…I’ve been trying to conceive for 6 months and in our 7th month I thought I would try using Conceive Plus to help fertilisation along. Lo and behold, I got my BFP! I couldn’t believe it. However, after many hcg tests with consistently low numbers and a scan with no sac visible it was *finally* determined that I had an ectopic pregnancy. I have none of the risk factors for ectopic, so could not believe our luck. I’ve just had methotrexate and my day 4 test today, unfortunately my hcg has risen so hoping for a drop on day 7 :(

Would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts/ideas here - was this just a terrible coincidence? I’m so upset about what this means for us moving forward :(

EPT Host 22

Re: Conceive Plus and Ectopic

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Sarahkate8,

I am so sorry to hear you are suffering from this ectopic pregnancy and loss. You are not alone in your experience and feelings, and I'll do my best to provide some reassurance.

The process of MTX can take some time, and as each woman is different, there is, unfortunately, no set time frame. We encourage women to prioritize their rest and recovery during these weeks, which means no heavy lifting and possibly taking time off from work. It is very easy to say, but so much harder to do.

As you've already shared, the second shot of MTX is given if hCG levels do not fall as doctors would like. In general, the hCG level often rises on the day four blood test because the action of Methotrexate is not instantaneous, so the cells will have continued to divide for two or three days after the injection was given, and some cells release more hCG when they start to disappear. Your doctors are looking to see a drop in your hCG value of at least 15% between days four and seven. If there has not been a 15% drop, this is when the doctors will consider a second dose of Methotrexate or surgery.

Every 3-7 days, beta hCG levels will continue to be monitored to ensure that they are falling appropriately. Most women only need one injection but in up to a quarter of cases a further injection may be required if serum hCG levels are not decreasing.

You know your body the best, and while the hcg levels are decreasing, it's important to be mindful of your symptoms until you reach non-pregnant levels, under 5mIU/mL, as there is unfortunately still a chance of rupture. The symptoms of a deteriorating ectopic pregnancy, which include worsening or progressively increasing pain; vaginal bleeding; shortness of breath; feeling faint; and pain in the tip of the shoulder among others, may become noticeable. If you suffer any of these symptoms you will need to be reassessed. Your hospital would give you a number to contact for health advice if you feel that anything is changing, or you will have been told to report to the Accident and Emergency Department (A&E). If you have not been told what to do and need to speak to someone ring the hospital department which is treating you or the NHS 111 Service by dialing 111.

From the bottom of my heart, please be kind to yourself through your recovery. We are here for you whenever you need it.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Sarahkate8

Post by Sarahkate8 »

Thank you so much Michele! This was incredibly helpful.
This might be a tricky question to answer, but is it normal/a good sign if I haven’t had any bleeding since my injection? I’ve only really had a light yellow coloured discharge. I did have a lot of bleeding prior to MTX though.
Thanks
Sarah

glr8719

Post by glr8719 »

Hi Sarah

I’m so sorry to hear about your ectopic. I also had an ectopic pregnancy in July. The pregnancy was in my left tube and I had to have it removed because it started to rupture. It was my second pregnancy (first pregnancy was healthy and resulted in the birth of my beautiful little girl). The month we got pregnant this time was also the first time we had ever used conceive plus. I have also wondered if It contributed to my ectopic as I also had none of the risk factors and no pressure outs issues. It could be completely unrelated, but I am now wary about using it again…

I know it probably doesn’t feel like it now, but you will get through it and things will start to look brighter soon xxx

glr8719

Post by glr8719 »

glr8719 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:07 pm
Hi Sarah

I’m so sorry to hear about your ectopic. I also had an ectopic pregnancy in July. The pregnancy was in my left tube and I had to have it removed because it started to rupture. It was my second pregnancy (first pregnancy was healthy and resulted in the birth of my beautiful little girl). The month we got pregnant this time was also the first time we had ever used conceive plus. I have also wondered if It contributed to my ectopic as I also had none of the risk factors and no previous issues. It could be completely unrelated, but I am now wary about using it again…

I know it probably doesn’t feel like it now, but you will get through it and things will start to look brighter soon xxx

MSKC

Post by MSKC »

Sarahkate8,
Sorry for your loss. I also had methotrexate treatment 2x as first dose didn’t work. I also didn’t know what to expect. I had no bleeding until my first period 5 weeks after my 2nd dose. Do not be concerned. Just focus on your hcg number dropping appropriately from your weekly blood draws.

MSKC ❤️