By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

First ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Topcat2185

First ectopic pregnancy

Post by Topcat2185 »

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking on here for the last few weeks ever since I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy, thought I would share my experience.

I am 36 and this was my second pregnancy, I had a termination 3 years ago at 9 weeks as it was the wrong time/the wrong relationship. Fast forward three years later and I'm very happy with my current partner although we weren't trying for a baby (I am on the pill). I missed my period and suspected I could be pregnant but my early tests were negative and then I had a bleed which I wrongfully assumed was my period. The bleed I had was very short and ended after 2 days and then when I took another pregnancy test it came back positive. My partner and I had already decided that we would keep the baby even though it was a complete shock.

I wasn't entirely happy about the bleed-through so to put my mind at rest my partner booked me in for a private scan. The internal scan showed no pregnancy but a small ectopic in my left fallopian tube so I was referred to the early pregnancy unit at my local hospital. Had another scan HCG was 480 so pretty low and I was completely asymptomatic with no pain, bleeding or anything. I have discovered I hate being a patient as I am a surgical nurse myself! Had repeat blood tests every 48 hours to monitor HCG it initially started dropping but then rose to 650 so I was treated with Methotrexate. Day 4 levels dropped to 372 then by day 7 were 175. Today they were 50 so hopefully, the treatment is working! Hasn't been a very pleasant experience but I am glad it was caught pretty early. Myself and my partner are going to start trying for a baby in 6 months so will make sure I go back for an early scan if I lucky enough to get pregnant!

EPT Host 22

Re: First ectopic pregnancy

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Topcat2185,

I'm so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. Even when we weren't expecting a pregnancy, the result of an ectopic pregnancy can catch us by surprise. I'm glad you've found your way to our boards and that the MTX has been working for you.

Remember, it is still important to look after yourself and ensure your rest. This is particularly important until your levels are at non-pregnant levels of under 5. Certainly, if you have any increasing symptoms before that point, please take yourself to A&E to be seen, especially heavy bleeding or shoulder tip pain.

These boards are filled with people who share in this unfortunate experience. Thank you for sharing your story. Please know that we are here as long as you need us.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team