By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

My experience with an ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Waivedancer

My experience with an ectopic pregnancy

Post by Waivedancer »

I got a call today from my very happy doctor that my numbers were down to 20 and they were lifting all restrictions. I can’t even describe the level of relief I felt upon hearing that number and her happy voice.

A little over 5 weeks ago I was sitting alone in the emergency room waiting to get my first dose of methotrexate. 7 weeks ago I was celebrating being pregnant privately with my husband, smiling happily at my 2 year yearly son wondering how he would be as a big brother. When in that room 5 weeks ago waiting to get the shot I felt so alone. I went from being so happy earlier that week, to disbelieving, terrified and questioning. I called my doctor-was she sure this was necessary? Maybe they were wrong. She calmly reassured me and probably saved my life.
The first treatment didn’t work and my numbers went up, and my doctor warned me that if the second one did not work, they would need to do surgery.
That second week, I was essentially on bed rest so I wouldn’t rupture. I was terrified while waiting for those blood results, and remember sitting in the emergency room, wondering what would happen if the numbers didn’t go down….but thankfully they did by almost 50 percent. At the peak my numbers were at around 2000 and today they are at 20.

I wanted to share this story so others who get methotrexate and need a second dose, know that it can work well the second time around and also to know as I mention below that I felt some real pain from the treatment.

I will also say it did cause pain, kind a strong tugging feeling which scared me at the time because I didn’t know if that was normal. Definitely called the doctor to check but it turned out it was within the normal levels of pain and thankfully not a rupture.

Am so grateful to be ok…now was told that I can start trying again after one month…which is so scary in its own way. Definitely want another little miracle in the future but scared of this happening again.

EPT Host 22

Re: My experience with an ectopic pregnancy

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Waivedancer,

I am so sorry to hear that you have suffered this ectopic pregnancy and loss. An ectopic pregnancy is often such a surprise, and disruptive to the dreams that we had started to consider when learning of our pregnancy.

I am very glad to hear that the second MTX shot has been working. That must feel like such a relief, after having to endure bedrest. What a difficult task with a toddler in the house. Please continue to look after yourself and rest. This is especially important until you reach non-pregnant HCG levels, which is under 5. Any sudden increases in symptoms until that point should be seen by your doctors, especially heavy bleeding or shoulder tip pain.

Be kind to yourself in your recovery. We suffer both physical and emotional trauma through ectopic pregnancy, and it can take some time to feel back to ourselves. Please know we are here for you for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team