By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Periods

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
kayleigh1994

Periods

Post by kayleigh1994 »

I had a ectopic treated with methotrexate back in august. I had a normal period 6 weeks later but I’m now 4 days late, tests are negative but im really worried about what’s going on

MSKC

Re: Periods

Post by MSKC »

Did you get your period yet? My cycles are different every month. My first bleed/period after 2nd dose of methotrexate was 5 weeks after. 2nd period after 26 days. 3rd period after 22 days. My average is 25 days. I hope that helps.

kayleigh1994

Post by kayleigh1994 »

Ah ok thank you. I have had one period 6 weeks after my methotrexate bleed but nothing for around 5 weeks now x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Kayleigh,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
It can take a good few months for cycles to settle into a pattern that is more normal for us.

Periods can be delayed for a number of reasons including stress or even (as surprising as it may sound) excessive exercise or weight loss. Doctors normally consider menstrual cycles of between 23-42 days to be within normal parameters. If you have not had your expected period, we would advise retesting, using an early morning urine sample in a further week. If i t gets to more than 42 days, please seek medical advice.
If you have been TTC, while I do not want to alarm you, if you experience any pain or unusual bleeding, please do get medical attention as soon as you can.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Win113

Post by Win113 »

I also had to have the injection but now I’m confused if I’m having my first period or just the lining from the ectopic. My bloods were down to 10 on Monday (after 7 weeks of slowly dropping and light bleeding) but then I started heavy bleeding on Thursday.
Do we think this could be a period of the lining from the ectopic?
H

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Win,
I would say that this is the bleed following treatment rather than a period as
most women find that their period arrives some time in the four weeks after their hCG levels have fallen to 0 if treated with Methotrexate.
As a gentle reminder, if you are planning on trying to , following Methotrexate injection, we advise that you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL (your doctor will advise you when this is through blood tests) and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team