By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Sharing Some Hopeful News for Others

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
jcmead77

Sharing Some Hopeful News for Others

Post by jcmead77 »

Hi everyone,

On September 15, I was diagnosed with an Ectopic Pregnancy. This was after my 7-week scan (September 9) showed a small gestational sac in my uterus. I had very normal pregnancy symptoms leading up to my 7-week scan - no bleeding or pain. However, on September 10 my HCG came back as 6526 (high for a small sac with no fetal pole or any other structure). My doctor was concerned that this may be an ectopic pregnancy, but she wasn't sure until the practice performed a second scan. They also checked my tubes and ovaries (all clear) during the first scan. I returned for a second scan on September 15, my HCG levels were also tested that day, 8951. The scan showed the same gestational sac (no fetal pole or structures, and no change in size). They checked my ovaries, tubes, all over the uterus, and also performed a transabdominal scan - no free fluid or adnexal masses on any organs in my abdomen. The small sac was determined to be a pseudo gestational sac (which occurs in 10% of ectopic pregnancies).

Since my levels were so high and there wasn't an embryo in the uterus, my doctors decided on methotrexate treatment, 25 mg for the first dose and then 25 mg for the second dose (administered 4 days after the first dose). I also stopped taking folic acid and removed foods with folate (as much as I could) from my diet. I drank green tea which reduces folate in your system. I did not engage in any exercise or lifting during this time as well. My levels decreased quickly and I didn't have any pain (other than menstrual cramping that was treated with Tylenol). The embryo was never found and I didn't have any ruptures or free fluid. I may never know what really happened to the embryo as everything looked normal on the scans, but I am very relieved I didn't have any pain or ruptures. Methotrexate worked very well for me and I am so relieved! My period is now back too! I hope this offers hope for others. It was my first pregnancy and I really hoped that it would be smooth as I am 44 and my partner (who I met in my late 30's) has had fertility issues for the past five years. This was our natural, miracle pregnancy - so we were very sad. I still have hope for a healthy pregnancy and am very relieved that this experience with an ectopic (and all the anxiety it caused) is now over.

Please find the change in my levels below.

September 15 Starting HCG: 8951
September 21 (after two doses of methotrexate): 5171 (third scan - no adnexal mass or free fluid anywhere, ovaries and tubes looked normal, pseudo gestational sac moving to the cervix)
(Uterine lining shedding started on September 19, with some moderate menstrual cramping that lasted 3 days)
September 27: 219 (big decrease!)
(Uterine lining shedding ended on September 26, followed by spotting until October 4)
October 4: 25
October 12: 5
October 19: 2 (all clear, negative for any pregnancy product)
October 22: First menstrual period after ectopic begins

Thank you. I learned so much from the website and this forum.

-Jessica

EPT Host 20

Re: Sharing Some Hopeful News for Others

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Jessica,
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, it is difficult when we do not know what is happening with our bodies.
Thank you for writing such a detailed account of what happened. With your situation being more unusual, it really will help others who experience similar symptoms.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team