By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Tips for anyone that is just going through with this.

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
ally_kat

Tips for anyone that is just going through with this.

Post by ally_kat »

I stayed up late last night thinking what would have made/make this process a little more easy. I also have noticed that some people who have posted have yet to get the surgery for the Ectopic Pregnancy. So here is what I have learned:

First if you are in the hospital and just learn you are having an Ectopic Pregnancy and you start to feel the chest/shoulder pains and they won't give you medicine for it. Try heating pads on each place. Hospitals can offer you heating pads and ice pads if they cannot give you meds. Just ask for the big ice bag for you're stomach. The heating pads only last about 20 minutes, but boy do they help.

If you are feeling that chest/shoulder pain is a big sign of an Ectopic Pregnancy. The pain for me felt like I was constantly being stabbed. Which means the CT scan will be very helpful at this point. Its scary thinking it may hurt the baby, but at the same time that scan can save you're life.

After surgery: The pain will get better. The mental/emotional pain will start to hit that night/the next day. I am sorry, for you're loss. I really am, but I am glad you are still alive.

When you prepare to leave: Have someone bring you extra roomy clothes. I normally wear a size medium and when I left I could barely fit into my husbands size large PJ bottoms. The gas made me look like I was an NFL football player. Lol. Also have them bring something you can hold. Because when you leave the emotions may it you, also it helps having something pressed against your gut to help you get into that car.

Second: The stomach binder I do recommend wearing that. Do not wear it to bed but do try to have it on just before. Like an hour or so. It helps with the pain.

Also: I would try to sleep kind of sitting up in bed. Place a blanket behind your pillow. Way easier to get up to the bathroom at night with the least amount of pain. Also keep and extra pillow or stuffed animal to press against your stomach while you get up and move.

I am short so my mother in law gave me the idea to keep a kitchen stool next to my bed to help me get on and off the bed. It as helped me a lot.

Try to stay away from gassy foods. Like broccoli, and beans right now. Or anything that might cause more stomach issues. You do not need that right now. Like if you can't drink milk or eat ice cream its a must to stay away. You don't need to deal with anymore issues right now.

I wish I could help more with the emotional side of things, but right now I am still trying to figure that one out. I hope this page helps, and I am sorry about all of my spelling and grammar errors. Also try to remember you are not along in this, we are all going through this together. 1 out of 80 miscarriages is an ectopic. You can get through this. It's tough, but you will; we will.

EPT Host 20

Re: Tips for anyone that is just going through with this.

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear alley_kat,
Thank you for such a thoughtful post, it really will help.others going through a similar situation. The fact that you are thinking of others right now, shows what a beautiful heart you have.
The emotional recovery for me was difficult too. Take all the time you need and be kind to yourself to protect that beautiful heart.
We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team