By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

First period after surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
clawyaw

First period after surgery

Post by clawyaw »

Hi all,

I just have a question. I was told to expect my period around 6 weeks after my surgery. My surgery was on the 14th and it is the 31st and I started bleeding tonight. Is this normal?? I’ve been so paranoid since my emergency surgery.

I only bled for a day after my surgery, I ruptured my left tube and was told I would bleed for a week or two after and I did not, so I’m just a bit confused and worried. Not sure if this is my period or I’m just bleeding from surgery later?

My follow up appointment went well, but they didn’t do anything but just ask if I was doing fine. No tests or anything. I’m not sure if that’s normal.

Sorry for the ramble. I’ve just been so anxious.

EPT Host 20

Re: First period after surgery

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear clawyaw,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
some women do not bleed a lot following treatment for ectopic pregnancy, it depends how much endometrium was built up and how high hCG levels became.
Your periods can take a while to re-establish - they can re-start anything between two and ten weeks after surgery and most women find that their period arrives sometime around week six or seven after surgery.
The first period may be more painful or less so than usual, heavier or lighter, last for longer or shorter than usual – there really is no set pattern. You should be able to manage the discomfort with over-the-counter pain relief and should not be soaking a pad in less than an hour. If this is not the case, you should seek medical attention. So this bleed sounds like your first period.

In the UK, there often isn't any further testing or investigations following ectopic pregnancy. If you are planning on trying to conceive, we and many medical professionals advise waiting for two menstrual cycles. It is important to allow time for your body to recover and emotions to surface and be worked through. This is so that you have some comfort that your body is returning to its natural rhythm and you have a last menstrual period date from which to date a new pregnancy - key information in checking you are not suffering from an ectopic pregnancy in the future. The first bleed soon after surgery for ectopic pregnancy is not classed as a period as it is the body's response to falling hormone levels.

The chances of a further ectopic after a first in UK is 10%. So that's 90% chance of the embryo being in right place next time.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.

For now, be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally.
We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

clawyaw

Re: First period after surgery

Post by clawyaw »

Thank you so much! I had my tube rupture so I was expecting a lot more.

And I’m not currently trying to get pregnant, it was all unexpected, I just felt like it came to early from all my research, thank you so much for reaching out! This group has made me feel so much better <3.