By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Feeling so lost after Methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
AbbieL_1224

Feeling so lost after Methotrexate

Post by AbbieL_1224 »

Doctors discovered I was having an ectopic pregnancy last week, in my tube near my ovary. Had the methotrexate injection on Thursday 4th November, my HCG was 427 and it had risen slightly to 430 4 days later on Monday 8th November.

I feel a bit gutted as I had some awful symptoms 2 days after the injection and ended up being admitted to hospital on Saturday night as a potential/threatened tube rupture. Looking back it may have been a bad reaction to the methotrexate (bad pains, vomiting, dizziness etc).

So I was really hoping for a drop in HCG levels after that. Has anyone had a similar experience? :(

Imogen17

Re: Feeling so lost after Methotrexate

Post by Imogen17 »

Hello,
Sorry you are going through this! The levels can go up on day 4, but it’s the day 7 result that is the important one, they want to see a 15% drop. You may need a second dose, but will depend on how you feel and liver function etc.

Also your initial levels are low so the evidence is really positive and methotrexate has a good chance of working.

I’m currently being treated with methotrexate for PUL. Make sure you take lots of rest and limit exercise. Methotrexate is grim but fingers crossed works for us both!

EPT Host 20

Re: Feeling so lost after Methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Abbie,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
As Imogen has mentioned it is normal for hCG to rise in the day 4 bloods following Methotrexate as the action of the drug is not instantaneous. They will be looking for a reduction in your next bloods.
We would advise not to do any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise during this time. Try to rest as much as you can and I hope you have a more positive blood test result in a few days time.

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team