By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Separation Pains?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
CateLow

Separation Pains?

Post by CateLow »

Good Morning from Canada!
I had a positive test on Nov 14/22, due to my age (45) my Doctor ordered a scan for the 18th - I should have been around 5w3d. Nothing was seen intrauterine and nothing mentioned about either tube, no free fluid. I had my first HCG drawn that day - it was only 250, the 20th it was 328. By the 21 I was lower left back pain and left sided abdominal pain. Ended up in Emergency. Consult with OB/Gyne another scan ordered, again nothing seen - she classified it as “Pregnancy of Unknown location” I was the. Referred to the Early Pregnancy Loss clinic. Had blood draw again on the 24th it was 504. The had me go in on Thursday for my Methotrexate (here in Canada it’s 5 injections - 2 in one hip and 3 in the other)
I’m now on day 3 - I’m still having the SAME pain (lower left back and front abdomen) I’ve been reading it could be separation pain from the Methotrexate? I do have some tummy cramping but I can tell the difference.
Has anyone else felt the same way after or is this really bad? The pin hasn’t really changed from the start of all this to now.

EPT Host 20

Re: Separation Pains?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Cate,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Whilst I haven't heard of the term separation pain, it is common to experience pain following treatment with methotrexate.
It appears methotrexate is given slightly differently in Canada, but I presume they are following you up with bloods and these should be taken in day 4 and 7, please do not panic if they rise in day 4, but there should be a reduction on day 7.
If the pain isn't worsening and your medical team are aware you could continue to monitor it, however as pain is subjective and I am not medically trained, I would seek medical advice if you are concerned or it is worsening.
I have added some information from our website here that I hope is useful.

https://ectopic.org.uk/treating-an-ecto ... thotrexate

Sending much love,
Karen x
The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team