By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Will the remaining tube always catch the egg?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Caroline89

Will the remaining tube always catch the egg?

Post by Caroline89 »

Hi just wondering if anyone knows the answer. I had my right tube removed in January from an ectopic and from ultrasound scans, I know it's also my right ovary that is my dominant ovary. I understand that your remaining tube will try and catch the egg so what I'm trying to work out is will it always catch the egg each time you ovulate or is it only a 20% chance it will? Thank you for your help :) x

Dubnat

Re: Will the remaining tube always catch the egg?

Post by Dubnat »

Most figures say around 15-20% of the time the remaining tube will pick up the egg.
Xx

Se1986

Post by Se1986 »

Hi, how do you know what ovary is the dominant one??

Caroline89

Post by Caroline89 »

Thank you for your replies. Here's hoping it catches it! I've been having ultrasound scans regularly for the past year (unrelated to trying to get pregnant) and each time they've said I have a right dominant follicle. Really hoping my left one with my remaining tube starts releasing eggs! I've heard having a dominant ovary is actually quite common.. maybe not so great for us with one tube :roll: xx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Caroline89,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Generally, when a person has only one fallopian tube and both ovaries, they are still able to get pregnant from an egg at the opposite ovary as an egg from one ovary can travel down the tube on the other side. The fallopian tubes are not attached to the ovaries and, at the point of ovulation, some very delicate structures called the fimbriae begin to move gently creating a slight vacuum to suck the egg toward the end of the tube it is nearest to (like lots of little fingers waving and drawing the egg towards it). So, if you have only one tube then there is only one set of receptors working and one set of fimbriae creating a vacuum and so the egg is much more likely to find its way to that tube, whichever ovary it is produced from. Conservative estimates suggest that an egg produced on the tubeless side manages to descend the remaining tube around 15 to 20% of the time.

While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Stacey87xx

Post by Stacey87xx »

Hi i had an ectopic and right tube removal in november 2015 then got pregnant in jan 2016 and now pregnant again . Qith my pregnancy in jan 2016 they told me i had ovulated on my tubless side and the remaining tube had caught the egg from that side . I had an early ultrasound yesterday to confirm where the pregnancy was and again i had ovulated from my tubless side and my remaining tube had again caught it im guessing the ovary on my tubeless side is the dominant ovary!! It does happen quite alot from what my ultrasound tech said yesterday :-)

Se1986

Post by Se1986 »

Oh that's nice to hear, maby it's like when kids have a lazy eye and they put a patch on the good one to make the other one work. I like this thread , positive answers!!

Caroline89

Post by Caroline89 »

Ah that's lovely to hear, congratulations on your pregnancy. I went for acupuncture on Thursday and my acupuncturist had been to a gynecologist conference and he seems to think it's really fairly common and can happen most of the time, but unfortunately it just might not implant etc. I read a reading article that tracked a large number of women who had surgical ectopics and then fell pregnant and the results showed a third of the women got pregnant from the tubeless list. Let's hope :)

StarDust

Post by StarDust »

Back in 2008, my left tube ruptured because of an ectopic pregnancy. I was rushed into surgery and had it removed. In the last 10 years, I have managed to conceive 6 times, resulting in 5 healthy births (and another expected later in the year). Having only one working Fallopian tube has not ruined my dream of having a big family.
I am writing this in the hope that it reassures others that anything is possible.

Minnie25

Post by Minnie25 »

Wow that’s incredible and congratulations on your big family. Have you struggled to conceive each time?

Ashleyp

Post by Ashleyp »

I found this thread uplifting and inspiring after my ectopic pregnancy this past August. Just wanted to pop on and share my good news, that after almost a year of trying unsuccessfully before my ectopic pregnancy, I became pregnant (without even really trying!) the first cycle after my salpingectomy! Came as a huge shock, but I’m very proud of my left FT! My doctors were not worried about the quick turnaround, and so far everything looks great.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Ashleyp,
Whispered congratulations on your pregnancy and thank you for taking the time to share your good news and giving hope to so many.
Sending much love,
Karen x

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.

Sonia

Post by Sonia »

It’s so lovely to have come across this topic. I asked this question to my mum she didn’t have the answer...it stayed in my mind.
So uplifting hearing positive stories...
:)
Xxx

Ambs097

Post by Ambs097 »

I ovulated from my tubeless side, after my EP too. I use had a scan yesterday, and she said the left ovary was enlarged and that I ovulated from that side, she was in amazement and didn’t know it could happen .

leilanie

ectopic on right side tube and cyst on the left side ovary

Post by leilanie »

hi, i’m 23yrs old and i just had my right side tube removed because of a ruptured extopic pregnancy and i also had a cystic haemorrhage removed from my left side ovary this was my second pregnancy. I had my first born naturally and who is now 3yrs old, i’m only young and i really want more kids am i still able to have more kids after all of this? :|

mrm

Post by mrm »

I am 10 days post operation, after what felt like a life time of 2 weeks of blood test and scan to find out where my miscarried pregnancy was. it was eventually found on my right tube, thankfully before I experienced any pain.

I am very anxious about wanting it to get it right next time, especially considering I had another early miscarriage before this ectopic.

I decided to go to the internet for some reassurance.I am thankful that it didn't take to many clicks before I found this forum.

I don't feel so hopeful about 18months (at 65%) of trying, waiting for a bundle of joy to start growing in the right place. However I now feel a little more positive and hopeful that it will happen thanks to all your comments. I have heard I would need surveillance right from the start from the early pregnancy unit to ensure that the other tube isn't ectopic - that bothers me, but I will role with it. I also been told I have a sizeable cyst on the ovary with the remaining tube- but been told it shouldn't cause any issues.

I just hope I am like the lady who has had lots of pregnancies with positive outcomes- I always wanted a big family!

emer

Post by emer »

Hi all,

this thread has really got me thinking positive. I recently had right tube removed due to an eptopic removal 20/03.
They also removed a cyst whilst there - I am just over 1 month post op and I believe I am beginning to ovulate , has anyone experienced similar pain to the pain of an eptopic when ovulating after the removal?

I ovulated just over a week after the OP and did have unprotected sex, so I'm nervous it could be happening all over again, but if the pain is common and normal would really like to avoid having to visit the doc/hospital again until really needed.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear emer,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Regarding going to hospital for scans after ectopic pregnancy, speaking from UK medical practice and standards, usually doctors carry out an internal transvaginal scan at around six weeks with subsequent pregnancies after an ectopic. This is because there is a reasonable chance of seeing an embryo around this six week mark.
We advise contacting your local EPU, reminding them of your ectopic pregnancy and booking an appointment. If you are unable to self refer, contact your GP who will be able to do this for you.
As pain is so subjective we would always advise speaking to a medical professional with any abdominal pain in pregnancy.
As a gentle reminder regarding conceiving again, we and many medical professionals advise waiting for two menstrual cycles. It is important to allow time for your body to recover and emotions to surface and be worked through. This is so that you have some comfort that your body is returning to its natural rhythm and you have a last menstrual period date from which to date a new pregnancy - key information in checking you are not suffering from an ectopic pregnancy in the future. The first bleed soon after surgery for ectopic pregnancy is not classed as a period as it is the body's response to falling hormone levels.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team