By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Nervous and scared

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
JPuttock88

Nervous and scared

Post by JPuttock88 »

Hi everyone

I've recently (Tuesday) found out I have an ectopic pregnancy, following some unusual bleeding and an ambulance dash Tuesday morning.
The hospital have been monitoring my hormone levels and they have stayed the same and so I had been advised on Thursday that an appointment would be made for me to have my bloods tested again today and Monday prior to a potential methotrexate administration Monday afternoon.
The consultant has just called me to say the hormone levels having previously been 615 & 601 are now 725. I don't understand what this means ? Does it mean that the pregnancy is trying to continue/ progress?
I'm feeling incredibly nervous about the impending medication, for a start I'm not good with injections let alone the implications of what this injection will do. I'm worried how my body will react, will I need time of work etc
I don't now quite how to deal with this.

If anyone has any information etc that would be most appreciated.

Lynette

Re: Nervous and scared

Post by Lynette »

Hi hun the rise does mean progress pregnancy n yes I would say u would need time off work as u will be in discomfort as everything comes away but atleast u have not lost your tubes I did so no surgery for u that's alot worse as far as I no u have to have x2 injections but your recovery should be alot quicker than mine but it's the grieving that takes the time don't rush yourself sorry if I have been so blunt but I wish ppl had been so straight with me xxxx I am always here for a chat xxxxx

JPuttock88

Post by JPuttock88 »

Hi Lynette

Thanks for your reply. That's what I thought, it was progressing. Since Friday I've hardly had any pain and no bleeding. I'm meant to be going in for more tests and the methotrexate tomorrow and I'm terrified. Absolutely terrified about this drug and what it's going to be like - plus I can't stand injections so that's not a great start! I scared they've missed something or got something wrong.
I hope your recovery is going well. Was yours recent ? X

Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Yes 3weeks ago u must go........ My pain went I felt OK the following day I was bleeding to death and rushed to surgery I don't want you to go through that uv got the chance to keep your tubes ovaries I didn't! please don't be afraid explain your fears ov injections there are numbing creams available to numb the area u don't feel a thing I didn't have that because mine was emergency my life depended on it I'm sure u would rather have a injection than go through operation please please please go let me know if you need me xxxxxxxx

Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I will be there for you through your journey your not alone xxx x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear jPuttock88,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss and just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you today.
I too have a huge needle phobia and had the methotraxate injection as treatment for my ectopic pregnancy.
I informed the nurse of my fear and she was so good that I didn't see a thing.
In terms of treatment options do chat through these with your Dr.
I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice on methotraxate but this is some general information from our website.

Methotraxate has been developed to avoid surgery. However, it does require careful monitoring and follow-up. This means that you will have to attend the hospital regularly for blood tests to monitor your hCG levels until the tests are negative. This can take several weeks and this will be explained by your doctor. Your hospital will make arrangements for you to have the hormone level checked. Your doctors will usually test your hCG levels on the day the medicine is given, again on day four, and on day seven after the injections.

The hCG level often rises on the day four blood test because the action of Methotrexate is not instantaneous, so the cells will have continued to divide for two or three days after the injection was given, and some cells release more hCG when they start to disappear. Your doctors are looking to see a drop in your hCG value of at least 15% between days four and seven. If there has not been a 15% drop, this is when the doctors will consider a second dose of Methotrexate or surgery.

A few days after the injection, it is usual to begin to bleed and this bleeding can last between a few days and up to 6 weeks.

Every 3-7 days, beta hCG levels will continue to be monitored to ensure that they are falling appropriately. Most women only need one injection but in up to a quarter of cases a further injection may be required if serum hCG levels are not decreasing.

Methotrexate is at least as good as surgery in terms of subsequent successful pregnancies. This may be due to the fact that medical treatment is non-invasive, whereas surgery may cause some scarring around the tube.

Side effects include abdominal cramping, vaginal bleeding or spotting, nausea, vomiting, and indigestion,
light-headedness or dizziness and I was completely shocked by how utterly exhausted I felt following the injection. I am also fairhaired was warned it can cause skin sensitivity to sunlight as I like you, had my injection in the summer months.

I completely understand how you feel about being scared that something is missed or that something will go wrong but please discuss all of your fears and concerns with your medical team. If you do have the methotraxate injection, you will be given carefully follow up and monitoring and we of course will be hear for you every step of the way should you need us.

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

JPuttock88

Post by JPuttock88 »

Dear Lynette & Karen

I had my check up today at the hospital, nice 9.30 appointment ..... wasn't seen for a good couple of hours after that! The consultant re scanned me to make sure nothing had decided to correct or progress it's self. I was then re scanned by the lead consultant as I think the ectopic is by my ovary and not in my tubes. This is at least what was picked up between their discussions between them.

They decided the methotrexate was still the correct way forward - allthough one of the registrars spoke as if I had a choice, asking if I wanted to go ahead, other options was key hole surgery etc. I don't know why the even ask - I know they have to get my consent but at the end of the day they are the professionals, I felt they should have said we are doing this and not this option because xxxxx it was getting so late in the afternoon that I said I would have to come back tomorrow of the drug as I had school runs etc to worry about!

So all booked in for 1.45 tomorrow - which gives me another day to stress and frighten myself. I don't even think the hospital does numbing cream they haven't mentioned anything. It feels so final, part of me wishes I could just be left alone with it. And everywhere I turn there's a babies and pregnant women etc. My best friend is pregnant and having her first scan Wednesday. I haven't said anything to her as I don't want to risk upsetting her etc but I wish I could talk to her about it. My head is all over the place, one min I feel practical and 'over' it and that I should be back in the office and the next min I'm crying. I want to feel like me again.

Thank you for letting me vent my frustration/ fears.

Jemma x

Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Right first ov all if she is a true friend she will be more upset if u don't speak to her everyone needs someone (u have me) too but u can't go through this alone ur friend will understand chemist's sell the cream u put it on 30 minutes before the needle it's only a boy £3 or the doctor will prescrie u need to open up to ur friend she might go with u xxxxx I was told all is OK oh no its not there cud be a chance it will move blah blah blah false hope...... But I was very lucky to be alive if it wasn't for the hospital quick reaction bit remember they no wat there doing and will try and prevent surgery as u only get 2 ovaries!!!!!! But when it almost takes ur life it's a big wakeup call u need to follow their instructions and you will be OK please please message me and let me know how you get on and I'd u need a chat (uv got a friend in me) xxxxx