By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Removal of tube and baby

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Maaike

Removal of tube and baby

Post by Maaike »

Hi everyone,

I just had laparoscopic surgery 3 days ago on Thursday where they removed my left tube and baby at 5 weeks + 5 days pregnancy. I feel like I can't quite comprehend what happened.
The surgeon mentioned that my fallopian tube had stretched to 5×4×3cm, which seems huge to me. It hadn't ruptured yet, but I was in so much pain on Thursday and it all went so quick. Is it fair to say that that size was life-threatening?
I just never thought this would happen to me. It was my first pregnancy, I literally just saw the heart beat on the internal scan and within 3h I am in surgery. The thought of the baby dying alone with me being unconscious kills me.
I guess I am just looking for others who may have experienced similar things? I just feel a bit in shock and I can't seem to fathom it. Any thoughts are welcome... thanks x

EPT Host 20

Re: Removal of tube and baby

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Maaika,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
You have been through a huge amount in such a short space of time and it is very normal to feel overwhelmed. From your words, I can imagine how frightening the experience must have been and I am sorry you have had to go though this.
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal.

Coming to terms with what has happened will take time. You are still in the early weeks of recovery and are physically and emotionally needing to heal. It is normal to feel pain and discomfort in these early days after surgery. Please do take it easy and look after yourself. Try not to do any lifting or straining especially over the next few weeks (at least six weeks after surgery). You should be able to manage the pain with over the counter pain killers or medication prescribed by your hospital but if this does not help, do speak to a pharmacist or your doctors about the pain. We have more information here on our website on what to expect during recovery too:
http://www.ectopic.org.uk/patients/your ... pregnancy/

You will need space to process what has happened and it can feel isolating. With us here at the Trust, we have been through similar experiences and I can understand how lonely it feels. You have friends here and please do continue to lean on us for as long as you need.

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x
The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Rainbow_Pending

Post by Rainbow_Pending »

Hello,

I too had surgery to remove my left tube and baby at around 5w4. This is my third pregnancy, following 2 miscarriages so still no baby :(

I am prettified there is something wrong with me and the NHS are doing nothing to help as the ectopic is not classed as a miscarriage. I have a million concerns and feel like no one is interested until I have 3 miscarriages.

I hope that you heal physically and emotionally and we get our babies soon xx

Sabsyg88

Post by Sabsyg88 »

Hi, just wanted to reply to say I know what you are feeling and going through as I also had the same surgery for an ectopic pregnancy on Thursday last week, it was my first pregnancy and it was the scariest experience of my life. The shock of everything happening all at once is awful, but I am being told constantly that things will get better and I will have children in the future. It is still worrying that it might now take even longer and even then the risk of having another is so much higher. You aren't alone and this forum has been a life saver for me to try to understand what's happened to me (hospital were amazing at their speed and diagnosing but the aftercare lacked a little in terms of information I was given and exactly what had happened or even recovery info for when I'm home)