By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

6 week check up - am I brave enough to do it again?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Kayjayleo

6 week check up - am I brave enough to do it again?

Post by Kayjayleo »

So today I had my 6 week check up with the consultant. This was my second ectopic, 1st I had my right tube removed and this time they managed to save my left tube but still had surgery to remove baby.
She showed me the pictures and it was a shock to see how small my tube is and how large the baby had grown, in the same place as first, right near the ovary.
We discussed where we go from here and all the stats, apparently it’s 1 in 4 if I get again naturally ... although she said we could “if I was brave enough “ but they would remove my tube if this happened again! Alternatively we can go straight to IVF at our own cost of course ...
Has anyone been in the same boat ??

EPT Host 22

Re: 6 week check up - am I brave enough to do it again?

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Kayjayleo,

I'm so sorry you've had to go through these ectopic pregnancies and losses. They can leave us with so many questions, and it difficult when we are given messages of uncertainty from our medical staff. I too suffered two ectopic pregnancies and was diagnosed with "bad luck".

As the Trust advises, and as you may have read in other posts, in the UK, the repeat occurrence of an EP is about 10 percent chance, but looking at it another way, there is a 90 percent chance of embryo being in the right place. On your fertility, the egg from the tubeless side can be picked up by other Fallopian tubes, and that means that fertility is not halved with having a Fallopian tube removed. Conservative estimates suggest that an egg produced in the tubeless side manages to descend the remaining tube around 15 to 20% of the time. This means that rather than your fertility being halved it has been affected by around 30% or, looking at it another way, it means we have around a 70% opportunity of conception with each menstrual (period) cycle.

It’s very normal to have worries about trying to conceive. It never became a simple emotional process for me. Getting pregnant and going to term took a lot of emotional work, but I also became a stronger advocate for myself within the medical institutions and therefore felt like I was being looked after for every eventuality of what could happen. After two ectopics, I was able to conceive and carry to term naturally. But I highly encourage you to take these decisions in your own time and at your own pace.

As you do so, please know we are here for you for as long as you need and always offer a place for your voice to be heard.

With good wishes,

Michele

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, fundraising, or by volunteering?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Kayjayleo

Post by Kayjayleo »

Thank you for your reply Michelle , did you have both in same tube ? If you don’t mind me asking? So I had 2 Normal pregnancy’s , then one ep in right tube and tube removed and now one in left tube, tube saved .,.
Just scary to try naturally as don’t think I could go through it all again

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi kayjayleo,

I had my first ectopic in my right tube, and then the second inside my uterus in the stump of the right tube which ruptured my uterus. It was my left tube which allowed me to become pregnant. I know how emotionally challenging it can be, and I encourage women to take it in their own time and as slowly as they need. Even now, when I look back, I don't actually know that I consciously decided to 'try again'. I had a lot of fear (and still do), but somehow I was in a place where I was able to move forward even with the fear.

Warmly,

Michele

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, fundraising, or by volunteering?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team