By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

First period after surgery?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Jeminy

First period after surgery?

Post by Jeminy »

Hi, I need some advice, please.

I found out I was 4 weeks pregnant, with my first every pregnancy, at the start of August, but started bleeding heavily a few days later, so I assumed I was suffering an early pregnancy miscarriage, and, as I was abroad on holiday, I decided to wait until I got home to see a doctor. Sadly, I had to get taken to the local Spanish hospital (they were amazing!) a week later, where I was informed I was suffering from an ectopic pregnancy. I flew home the next day (the most tense flight of my life) and went straight to hospital. I received the Methotrexate injection on the 17th August. Unfortunately it didn't work, and my tube ruptured 2 weeks later, even though my hormone levels had been going down as they should have been; I had emergency surgery on Friday 30th, to remove the whole left tube. Since then I've been recovering at home. I have had vaginal bleeding, continuously, from when I first started bleeding near the start of August. It stopped, completely, 5 days ago (so about 5 weeks of bleeding in total). I was expecting not to have any more bleeding for a little while, but I started bleeding again today, along with mild period like cramps. It seems too soon for a proper period, as my surgery was only 2 weeks ago, but I received the methotrexate a month ago. Is this bleeding something I should be worried about? Thank you x

EPT Host 20

Re: First period after surgery?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Jeminy,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
It is not unusual for women to bleed after treatment for ectopic pregnancy. This first bleed after treatment is a response to falling hormone levels and involves shedding of the uterine lining and is not classed as a period. The length of the bleeding can vary from woman to woman and some women do report spotting and bleeding for up to around six weeks after an ectopic pregnancy.

Your periods can take a while to re-establish - they can re-start anything between two and ten weeks after surgery and most women find that their period arrives sometime around week six or seven after surgery.
The first period may be more painful or less so than usual, heavier or lighter, last for longer or shorter than usual – there really is no set pattern. You should be able to manage the discomfort with over-the-counter pain relief and should not be soaking a pad in less than an hour. If this is not the case, you should seek medical attention.

This could therefore be your expected period, however if you have any worsening pain, bleeding or concerns, please speak to your GP.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Kamee

Re: First period after surgery?

Post by Kamee »

When I had my first ectopic I had the methotrexate then went on to have surgery and had my left tube removed. I bleed for 8 days only and my period returned after 38 days.

Its been 6 days after after my second ectopic surgery and the bleeding started 2 days after surgery and still going.