By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Recently diagnosed ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Leanne123

Recently diagnosed ectopic

Post by Leanne123 »

Hi I’m new to this forum and on Friday 13/9 was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I’m due to go into hospital to have the injection tomorrow and I’m so scared and upset as I know il no longer be pregnant I’m absolutely gutted as we have been trying for over a year and everyone around me has had a baby or they are pregnant I’m finding it so hard to cope with it

I feel like it’s all my fault and reading about the recovery time and when we can start to try again it feels ages away and I think I couldn’t handle going through this again

People who have had the injection did it work for you? And how long did it take for your hcg levels to go below 5?

Thanks

EPT Host 20

Re: Recently diagnosed ectopic

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Leanne123,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal.

Personally, I also had methotrexate, and I hope it comes as some comfort that I went on to have two successful pregnancies and we hear from many women who successfully conceive following methotrexate treatment.
I am afraid it is difficult to predict how long it will take for your hormone levels reach non-pregnant levels. As we are all individual, our bodies respond differently to the drug and it depends on factors like how high levels reached and our unique physiology. What I can say is that it can take a number of weeks and, while it can take some time, it is not as invasive a procedure as surgery. It is also encouraging that your levels are falling steadily although I appreciate that it can be a drawn out process. Also, in terms of chances of future successful pregnancies, studies do not show a significant difference between treatment routes, whether surgical, medical using methotrexate or expectant management (allowing time for the body to resolve the pregnancy itself).

Regarding trying to conceive following methotrexate, you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL (your doctor will advise you when this is through blood tests) and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.

Above all, be kind to yourself. Allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally. We will be here for you for as long as you need.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Ranja

Post by Ranja »

Hi Leanne,

Sorry to hear you are going through this awful experience. I too found out recently (Sept 12) that my pregnancy was ectopic. I was not planning to get pregnant but I had 48 hours where I believed I was and I was happy and got quite attached to the idea.

What were your hcg levels when you got your mtx shot? Are you having any side effects?

Hope you are taking care of yourself during this time as none of this is your fault and your health is most important now. I too have been hard on myself, wondering what's wrong with me and why this happened to me, but I stop and think what would I say to my best friend instead. I certainly wouldn't talk to her the way I talk to myself sometimes. Please be kind to yourself during this time, you deserve it.

Leanne123

Post by Leanne123 »

Thanks ladies my hcg levels yesterday were 4670 and had gone up 60% from the last set of bloods on Friday I have had no side affects at all for an ectopic pregnancy but had a scan on Friday were they seen it in my right tube so that’s when they told me it was ectopic my head is just all over the place and I just feel like crying all of the time

Fingers crossed I can be successful next time because I don’t think I can go through another loss again

Kamee

Post by Kamee »

Your hcg levels are very but I think once they are under 5000 it's ok to have the shot. I think once they can see the sac and fetal pole they prefer to do surgery as the shot is unlikely to work, but I would definitely go for the shot if the option was there.

Leanne123

Post by Leanne123 »

I’ve just come out I had to have surgery in the end it’s crazy how quickly things are done 10 days ago I was so happy to be pregnant and now I’m not along with a tube gone

Long road ahead but hopefully one day it will happen