By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic pregnancy with methotrexate treatment

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Nicole-25

Ectopic pregnancy with methotrexate treatment

Post by Nicole-25 »

Hi all!

I’m new to the forum. But would just like to tell my story.
I had an early 6 week scan on 12th Oct to be told there was nothing there, they took my hcg which came back at 1500. On the 13th I experienced the worst pain in my life. I was scanned again and told it was likely ectopic as they could see a shadow on my left tube. They repeated my hcg on the 14th which came down to 1200 and that’s when I was given my first dose of methotrexate. Fortunately it seams to be working and I don’t need surgery as my tube seams to be doing ok. However I’m not out the woodworks yet as my level is still positive. Last week it was at 164 and I am just now waiting on my results of this weeks one.

Does anyone who has been in my position feel like this is a long dragging process that u just want to be over already? I feel guilty feeling this way about it but I also feel drained and have a “can’t be bothered” attitude to everything. I also feel myself getting angry at the silliest things which I’m taking out on my partner and 4yo daughter mostly and then feeling really guilty and emotional afterwards. I went back to work 2 days ago but now feel it was too soon so have went off again, I feel terribly guilty for this too. I want to know how long you feel this way for and when you finally start to feel like your normal self again :( xx

EPT Host 22

Re: Ectopic pregnancy with methotrexate treatment

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Nicole-25,

I am so sorry to hear you are suffering through an ectopic pregnancy. Even though the mtx treatment is working for you, you are still experiencing a physical and emotional trauma. It is very typical to experience a mix of emotions, and especially a desire for things to get back to normal. There is nothing particularly fun about going through this experience.

It is positive news that your hcg levels are decreasing, but as they are not yet to non-pregnant levels (below 5ml/UL) it is important to continue taking it easy and monitoring your symptoms. We advise avoiding any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise while your levels are reducing. If you feel any additional or increasing pain, especially to the shoulder tip, or heavy bleeding, please get medical attention from A&E immediately.

Even when the hcg levels are at zero, the emotional recovery from an ectopic is so individual. You may feel emotions creep up that you were not expecting to feel. I found that journaling helped me to process much of what I was unable to express to my partner and family. The Trust also endorses talking therapies. Your GP may be able to refer you or the charity, MIND, has listings of talking therapies in your local area.

The most important thing is to give yourself and your body time to heal. Going back to work and then realising you needed more time is a good indication you are listening to yourself. As you recover, these boards are a safe space, and we are here for you, for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Sazzles

Post by Sazzles »

I totally understand where you are coming from. It took 4 weeks for my levels to go down. It does drag. In regards to work, I took 4 days off after the injection and then worked half days up to half term. Going to see how it goes next week.
Everyone is different but look after yourself x

Nicole-25

Post by Nicole-25 »

Thanks for replying ladies! Just reading everyone’s stories and support to them had made me feel a whole lot better! I guess just opening up to people who actually know what I’m going through has helped a lot more than I thought it would. My hcg is now sitting at 58 but I’m still experiencing a lot of bleeding. I’m just taking it easy and taking every day as it comes. So thank you for listening to me ❤️ Xx