By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

7 weeks since methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Aj127

7 weeks since methotrexate

Post by Aj127 »

I was treated with methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy 7 weeks ago, the first injection didn't work so I had a 2nd dose the follow week, my hcg levels are still 97, has any else had such a slow fall in HCG levels I am totally fed up with visiting the EPU as lovely as they all are. I feel that this nightmare is just never ending, I had a miscarriage in April this year and currently feeling awful

stephanie_b

Re: 7 weeks since methotrexate

Post by stephanie_b »

Hiya, sorry to hear your story. It’s so awful isn’t it!

I had an ovarian ectopic in April, I had surgery and also methotrexate and my HCG levels took weeks to finally get to pretty much zero. It was the hardest time ever as it felt like all what I had been through was never ending and I was practically living at the EPU, all I wanted was my baby :(

You will get there, it just takes time. Stay strong, I know it’s easier said than done but keep going and you will get through this xxx

EPT Host 20

Re: 7 weeks since methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Aj127,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I am afraid it is difficult to predict how long it will take for your hormone levels reach non-pregnant levels. As we are all individual, our bodies respond differently to the drug and it depends on factors like how high levels reached and our unique physiology. What I can say is that it can take a number of weeks and, while it can take some time, it is not as invasive a procedure as surgery. It is also encouraging that your levels are falling steadily although I appreciate that it can be a drawn out process. Also, in terms of chances of future successful pregnancies, studies do not show a significant difference between treatment routes, whether surgical, medical using methotrexate or expectant management (allowing time for the body to resolve the pregnancy itself).

Regarding trying to conceive, we and many medical professionals advise that if you have had treatment using Methotrexate (whether one or two injections), you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL (your doctor will advise you when this is through blood tests) and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive.

I appreciate the physical and emotional impact of experiencing ectopic pregnancy and being treated with methotrexate. Above all, be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally. We will be here for you for as long as you need.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team