By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Down but discharged

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Phoebe

Down but discharged

Post by Phoebe »

Hi

I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right group or not so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I was discharged a few weeks ago from having an ectopic pregnancy treated by methotrexate. Whilst I’m grateful that the worry of my Fallopian tube potentially bursting is now over and the pain in my side has gone I’m still not quite right.

This week my period started (my first after being discharged) and I’m really struggling to concentrate. I have to read a lot of complicated documents and I’m finding I’m reading paragraphs but not taking in the content. I find I want to cry in the middle of company meetings (I haven’t yet), on the train and at home. Is it normal to have a huge mood swing on your first period after being discharged?

Since the ectopic my brain seems to be different. I’m struggling to remember things and whilst my spirit wants to be at work my brain is in a slightly different place. I feel disheartened.

This last week I had to attend an appointment with my other half and he has to have an operation soon. I nearly broke down in front of the doctor.

Is this normal? I used to get PMT but this is feeling like an extreme dose.

BMNov19

Re: Down but discharged

Post by BMNov19 »

Just to send love. I had methotrexate just over two weeks ago and today was my first day back to work. I struggled so much more than I thought I would. I'm envisaging a long journey ahead of greiving, which seems to come in waves. I know it's earlier days for me than you, but certainly not feeling 'right'. Pondering some counselling to see if that helps.
I suspect what you're going through may be a sign of grief but I guess if you're overly worried you could go to Drs to ask for advice?

Sending love xx

stephanie_b

Post by stephanie_b »

I just wanted to say I had an ovarian ectopic in April of this year and had to have both surgery and methotrexate.

It was absolutely the worst time of my life and I didn’t feel right for such a long, emotionally and mentally.

How your feeling is normal and to be expected, what you have been through is massive and you have suffered a great loss!

Try not to think you should be feeling any other way, just take each day as it comes and deal with how you feel on that day.

You will get there, I promise you really will. It’s that old trick of time and healing xxx

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Phoebe,

I'm so very sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. It can be a very confusing time and brings up so many emotions which we may not have expected. You have suffered physical and emotional trauma, and right now, it is so important to look after yourself. There is no standard recovery process, as each of us is unique, however as you've read these boards are full of men and women who understand the challenges of ectopic pregnancies.

It's important to remember that there is nothing you did to cause or could have done to stop an ectopic pregnancy. Right now, the most important thing to do is to look after yourself. There is no set recovery or set timeframe for recovery. As every women is unique, we all process it in different ways. Some days are better and some days are harder. Over time, the initial feelings may fade, but we don't forget. Your well-being is the most important thing right now.

I found that journaling was a way for me to get my thoughts onto paper, helping me to make sense of my emotions and to share them with friends and family. The Trust also believes that talking therapies can be of great help. You may want to speak to your GP for a referral and a look into counselling or to contact your local Mind centres. We can also arrange for you to speak to someone on our helpline at the number below. Many find it of comfort to speak to someone who has been through same thing and we can support you alongside the counseling. You will also find more information for support on our website: http://www.ectopic.org.uk/patients/emotional-impact/

Please know that these boards are here for you, any time, to share or to vent for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, fundraising, or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Thank you to BM, Stephanie and Michele. Your words have helped. I’ve just been feeling like I really should be over this and move on. Perhaps I’m not ready yet. Just keeping going I think at the moment and hope it will get better. Yesterday was a very low day for me and you guys have helped so thank you.

Good luck BM and thinking of you. Returning to work was harder than I expected too. Sending you the best of luck

Xx

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

I was very peculiar for about 4 months after the ectopic resolved! Went back to work but felt in another world, didn't truly care about what I was doing. It was shock. Slowly normality creeps in. Take it day by day and hour by hour when needed

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Thanks EctopicPUL it’s good to know I’m not alone!