By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Hormone levels below 10 but new pain?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Mc1990

Hormone levels below 10 but new pain?

Post by Mc1990 »

Not sure if this is normal or if I should be contacting my gp.

I was treated with methotrexate 4 weeks ago and yesterday a final blood test showed my hormone levels were now 9.8 and I was discharged from the EPU.

For the past 24 hours on and off I've had moderate cramping on the side of the ectopic. Is it normal to have the symptoms still even if hormone levels are back to normal? All my symptoms stopped for 2 weeks and this one has just reappeared?

EPT Host 20

Re: Hormone levels below 10 but new pain?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Mc1990,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Experiencing some pain after an ectopic pregnancy is normal as your body has been through a great deal over the last few months. Your body may be preparing to ovulate and many women experience ovulation pain when they did not before their ectopic pregnancy - including myself. You also may have a heightened perception because of the sad loss that you have had to go through. If you find you experience offensive smelling discharge or an increased temperature of more than 37°C or just want to be checked out to be on the safe side, it would be worth asking your doctors to run tests to check for infection.

If the pain persists, I suggest keeping a pain diary noting when the pain appears, the intensity on a scale of 0-10 and anything that helps the pain eg resting, hot water bottle, paracetamol etc. Visiting your doctors with this information helps them to assess how best to manage your symptoms. However as pain is very subjective, if you are concerned, I would advise speaking to your GP.

Above all be kind to yourself and allow time to heal, to grieve both physically and emotionally.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

BMNov19

Post by BMNov19 »

I was discharged today with hcg at 20... Yesterday I was in agonising pain (sharp pain am on side of ectopic, dull ache most of the day, agonising pain for 3 hours in evening). Nearly took myself to A&E. But nhs111 helped.
Today I have very slight bleeding and feel like it's the last bits coming away.

They told me to expect pain for maybe 48-72hours but then it should subside.

So strange as hardly had any pain post methotrexate (well some that first evening but only very mild cramping for a week or two then nothing for a good week). My injection was about 3 weeks ago.

Hoping your pain has eased and is just the end of it all or the start of your next cycle.

Just sending empathy!
X

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

I had lots of weird pains including ovulation so severe it felt like a different body. But it did settle down with time. Don't think it's unusual