By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Time off work after ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Mariaf

Time off work after ectopic

Post by Mariaf »

Hello

I’ve been scanning these boards last few weeks after my ectopic end of dec 19 which resulted in methotrexate. I’m now 3 weeks off work and it’s only starting to hit me now what’s actually happened, luckily I didn’t have surgery but I’m still in a state of shock and starting to realise what’s actually happened to me . What I’m trying to ask is what’s a normal length of time to be off work I work in education with young children so a busy job and just not sure I’m emotionally ready or am I just being too sensitive ?

Sarahh1234

Re: Time off work after ectopic

Post by Sarahh1234 »

I had 2 weeks off work I had my injection on the 4th off december took me atleast 3 weeks to feel more human though have a physical job too still have emotional moments but been at 7 weeks for me now x

Erin_

Post by Erin_ »

I’ve been off work just over 8 weeks. I had surgery about 7 weeks ago after failed methotrexate. I tried going back to work 3 weeks ago but couldn’t manage it emotionally. I work with young children and families so like you. I’m due back next week and feeling more ready. I think it’s completely different for everyone though, just don’t rush yourself if you don’t feel like you can manage it, what we’ve all gone through is so emotionally draining xx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Mariaf,
I'm so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
There is no set time frame for returning to work after methotrexate injection, I would advise to look at going back when you feel ready. I'm not sure if this applies to your job in education but a few options or retuning may be available depending on your role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?

It is also worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and undergoing treatment. Please speak to your GP about having further time off work if required.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Jo37

Post by Jo37 »

I had my ruptured eptopic 3rd Sept 19, I had keyhole and open surgery, lost 6 pints of blood.i was signed off for 6 weeks went back to work lasted 3 weeks and have been off since hoping to go back in Feb.

I still struggle physically and emotionally and have just started therapy

Thinking of you here to chat

Jo

Mariaf

Post by Mariaf »

Hello Jo

I have sent you an email via the site x

Jo37

Post by Jo37 »

Received and replayed :)

Lia

Post by Lia »

I’ve been off 6 and half weeks, the doctors signed me off for 12 weeks. I feel physically ok now and feel I should go back to work soon. Only problem for me is I work in maternity so just don’t know how I will feel when I go back x

Abilouise

Post by Abilouise »

Hello

I have just had to have surgery to remove my left tube with an eptopic pregnancy
I have been signed off for 2 weeks but I’m just not sure how to handle things or how to feel I’m so lost in how fast everything has happend , is 2 weeks long enough ?

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Abilouise,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task. You have also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.

You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

Surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Smay88

Post by Smay88 »

Hi,
I had an ectopic in November resulting in the removal of my right tube. I also work in education as a teacher. I went back after 3 weeks but could have taken longer off.

The reason I went back is because my ectopic happened on the week before starting a new post. Had I been at my previous post on returning I might have stayed off longer. I went back the week before Christmas & then had the two week break.

I actually found once I was back to work, although tiring, it helped to take my mind off things.