By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

When to lift?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Laura80

When to lift?

Post by Laura80 »

Hello All,

Great that there is forum for niggling questions and general support. Thank you.

My practical question: I have a 2 and a bit year old boy. My surgery was one week ago. I don’t want to jeopardise recovery which physically seems to be going v well (possibly because I had an early scan?’) whilst at the same time it would be handy to be able to pick him up etc. Any advice / thoughts?

Thanks,

Laura xxx

Ps. Ooo and when did you start hoovering again...

EPT Host 22

Re: When to lift?

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Laura80,

I'm so sorry to hear that you have suffered an ectopic pregnancy and loss. I'm not medically qualified and cannot comment on your specific recovery. Not knowing the type of surgery you had, I can say that one-week post-surgery is still very recent. Healing times vary from woman to woman, and the concerns about lifting can include hernia and tears to internal/external stitches. The Trust recommends waiting six weeks before engaging in exercise. However, as you have concerns I'd recommend consulting with your GP as they will be able to advise any concerns or suggest modifications you will need.

With good wishes,

Michele

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Laura80

Post by Laura80 »

Thank you for your prompt response. I had key hole surgery. I have had an emergency c section before and so I knew I had to wait 6 weeks for that. But thought as it was keyhole (and less invasive) recovery would be quicker. Ill be sensible though - better to be safe than sorry. Thank you

Laura x

mariahbee

Post by mariahbee »

Hi Laura,

I also had keyhole surgery, and have a dayhome with 2 year olds. I took 2 full weeks off work after surgery, as I didn't want to jeopardize my healing process or cause any physical distress. I wanted to be able to be fully present and able to help out if one of the kids needed me. I am no doctor, but I would definitely recommend waiting at least 2 weeks post-op to lift anything over 20lbs, and when you do go to lift him, make sure you're paying close attention to how your body feels. It may be worth it to hire some help short-term! Don't push yourself, and take adequate time to rest and heal (which I know is tricky with a toddler, but thats what friends/family are for)!

Cheers