By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Recovering and returning to work

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Cookiemoon

Recovering and returning to work

Post by Cookiemoon »

10 days ago I was rushed into a&e after experiencing dreadful pains, I didn't even know I was pregnant so finding out I was approximately 8 weeks pregnant and within 30mins being under anaesthetic and nearly bleeding to death after my left fallopiantube ruptured, I also had a blood transfusion due to amount of blood loss. This whole experience has comely shocked and caused me to turn into myself. My fiance has been amazing! But I have no family or real friends that live close due to moving house away from everyone a few months back, so i feel I can't really confide in anyone apart from my fiance which is great but obviously it puts strain on him too. I've always been a very busy person and I'm finding it very difficult struggling with every day tasks. I still can't even walk very well!
I just want to know how you guys dealt with going back to work and how long it took you all to recover? I'm struggling with coping at the thought of going back to work with everyone knowing my business. It makes me more anxious everytime I think about returning to work!!

I would love to get to know others and their experiences. I love to talk and am very good listener.

EPT Host 20

Re: Recovering and returning to work

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Cookiemoon,
Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task. You have also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.

You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

With regards to returning to work, surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.
A few options may be available depending on your role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?
Many women experience pain after surgery and this can be the case weeks or months after the trauma. Pain is the body's sign to rest and it is important to be guided by this and taking it easier if you experience discomfort.
In addition, it is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and undergoing major surgery. Please speak to your GP about having further time off work if required.

Many women experience feelings of isolation after an ectopic pregnancy - I did, too. It is a frightening experience. Like you, I reached out to the Trust for support and we will be here for you to lean on for as long as you need.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Leahsmith

Post by Leahsmith »

Hello,

I am nearly 5 weeks post emergency surgery and I am aiming to return to work on the 24th February. So it will be around 6 weeks that I would have had off work.

The first few weeks were extremely difficult and I really struggled physically and emotionally but I noticed a huge change at about 4 weeks. I started to feel physically more capable and mentally less wobbly. I know I'm not back to my normal self and I don't know if mentally I'll ever be the same person as I think this traumatic experience has changed me forever but I definitely am starting to feel more 'normal.'

I found it extremely difficult dealing with the fact that I couldn't do all my normal things at my normal speed, I like doing things and have found it very frustrating and upsetting that I couldn't and then that reminded me as to why and then I got upset about the ectopic pregnancy again. However, in the last week or so I can definitely see improvements in my physical capabilities and this makes me feel so much happier. This week I have been able to walk further than before and not feel pain when walking. This is coming from someone who was at the gym 3 times a week and walked at least 15,000 steps a day! It's definitely be difficult adjusting to the change.

I know when I go back to work I won't be 100% but I have been very open with everyone at work and they have been extremely supportive so I know that I will be ok. I thought it was better to tell everyone while I was off so I didn't have people asking me when I returned and then I would have had to explain it to everyone. Saying all this I am still anxious about returning and this is made worse by the fact that I am a primary teacher and I know all the parents will be interested in finding out where I have been.

I found it hard talking to other people because they don't really understand what I have been through. It's tricky because it's not only the loss of pregnancy but the traumatic experience of nearly dying plus the worry about the future. However, I found someone who had a similar experience to me and seeing how they are now and how they went on to have three children really helped me to feel more positive and happy.

I'm happy to chat to you any time and wish you lots of love and strength xx

Deanna

Post by Deanna »

Dear cookiemoon

First of all I'm so sorry for your loss. Its devastating to have to go through all that so quickly. My story is similar to yours in that I found out I was pregnant at the doctors when I went there with bleeding and pain to then being admitted straight to hospital to then having surgery Saturday afternoon. I'm now just over a week after op. It's a lot to process. I was lucky that my tube didn't rupture but I did have it removed so it puts doubt into my future fertility.
What you've been through is a very traumatic experience and giving your body and mind time to heal is best. Can be incredibly difficult if you're someone who likes to be on the go.
With regards to returning to work, I'm due back next week and have been very open to them about my recovery not just physically but mentally as well. That way I'll be able to tell them if I'm having a bad day and they will be able to help me adjust back to a normal routine. If you're worried about people knowing all maybe speak to one you trust the most with the most sensitive that way it'll be confidential but you'll have someone to confide on when you need to.

Happy to chat if you need it. Sending love and strength to you and hoping your recovery is going well xx

Abilouise

Post by Abilouise »

Hey
Don’t know if someone can help

I had an eptopic pregnancy nearly 4 weeks ago , I had it surgically removed with my tube aswell , I done a pregnancy test again last week which came back negative , I have had bad shoulder pain again within the last week and it’s hurting on my right side , (had left tube removed)
It’s really hurting to press on a certain part of my belly which I think is near my ovary and I’m really concerned :(
I’m trying to organise a Docters appointment for tomorrow but why am I all of a sudden getting these pains , the shoulder pain went away literally after the surgery so why is it all of sudden started again !
My wounds (keyhole) are pretty much cleared up and stitches have basically all fallen out aswell so it’s not even that :/

Maybe I’m panicking as I’m so on edge about it and so upset still about loosing my baby but I just feel like somethings wrong !

I’m worried I’ll go to the Docters and be told I’m over thinking and I’m fine :/ ....

Thanks in advance !

Meggers44

Post by Meggers44 »

My experience was basically the same as yours..it took me 6 weeks to physically be able to get back to normal aka start going to the gym and feeling decent again. Mentally it was hard for a couple months, but it gets easier. I'm about 2 and a half months post op. I still have some aches and some bad mental days, but having a supportive partner who listens and friends who have had miscarriages that I can talk to definitely has helped.
I was anxious about going back to work, but the reality is that no one really asks what happened. People just ask if you are okay and how you are feeling. They said they missed me and let me be. They were just happy I was back. The distraction of work has actually helped me a lot!