By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

HCG levels

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Ashleigh87

HCG levels

Post by Ashleigh87 »

Hi, I’m Ash

I was just diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy on Dec 7th, and was treated with two MTX injections. I started at 4237 and as of Dec 13 I was down to 2354. I’ve heard it can take levels months to drop, and then I’ve heard two weeks. My Dr just said she couldn’t give me an estimation. What have been your experiences with MTX? I’ve been gassy, sore has [heck], and tired. This sucks
Thank you everyone

EPT Host 20

Re: HCG levels

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Ashleigh87,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I am afraid it is difficult to predict how long it will take for your hormone levels reach non-pregnant levels. As we are all individual, our bodies respond differently to the drug and it depends on factors like how high levels reached and our unique physiology. What I can say is that it can take a number of weeks and, while it can take some time, it is not as invasive a procedure as surgery. It is also encouraging that your levels are falling steadily although I appreciate that it can be a drawn out process. Also, in terms of chances of future successful pregnancies, studies do not show a significant difference between treatment routes, whether surgical, medical using methotrexate or expectant management (allowing time for the body to resolve the pregnancy itself).
We have more information on side effects of methotrexate here-
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/treatment/

As a gentle reminder, please do not undertake any strenuous exercise or lifting or housework while your hCG levels are dropping.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Brighten

Re: HCG levels

Post by Brighten »

Hi, so sorry about your experience. It’s such a long process and it feels like it is never going to end.

It took 6 weeks for my levels to return to normal after methotrexate. I received methotrexate on November 20th but didn’t actually miscarry until the 27th. I peaked at 12,000 on the 24th of November and as of the 31st of December 31st my hcg is back to 1.
Methotrexate made me feel so horrible (I was irrational the two weeks following although it could be from the large drop in my hcg ) I’m feeling so much better now, of course still sad by my experience but I can think clearly again and be hopeful for the future. Hoping you feeling more like yourself soon!