By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Plateauing hcg and then slight rise

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
abbxx

Plateauing hcg and then slight rise

Post by abbxx »

I am SO confused. So, my history is one previous ectopic before where they took my tube away. I currently (should be) 6 weeks pregnant but have been bleeding roughly for a week now.. I didn’t even know I was pregnant as had what I thought was a normal period, which obviously wasn’t and took a test when I started to spot after my period. My hcg levels on Saturday were 38, 37 on Monday and yesterday they were 53! I went in for a vaginal scan this morning and they couldn’t see anything in my uterus, remaining tube or ovaries. My OB has phoned me and told me he “thinks” this is a pregnancy growing in the wrong place but it’s too small to see on a scan. Has anyone heard of this before because to me it’s just so so bizarre and emotionally draining.. How can they not see anything on a scan and not know where it is? I am now waiting until Friday for more bloods and then possible methotrexate to stop it growing. How can something stop growing and then start again I am so confused??

EPT Host 22

Re: Plateauing hcg and then slight rise

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Abbxx,

I know how worrying this period can be. The waiting in early pregnancy is particularly difficult as we seek some certainty of what will come. You are doing everything correct to get your scan booked in and connect to the early pregnancy services.

Many of us are anxious as we ttc and in future pregnancies. Please know that you are not alone. As difficult as it is, it can be helpful to take things slowly right now and focus on what is at hand, versus what might come. The time will pass, and your scan will be here soon. Hopefully, providing some reassurance.

Please do be mindful of your symptoms during this early pregnancy time. I took some solace in know that the medical support was there for me, no matter what would come. The other thing I just wanted to say is that with ectopic recovery, sometimes it takes even longer than we think it will. If you and your partner need extra time, please take it. These are traumatic events and new pregnancies can trigger old feelings. With this in mind, please remember we are here for you at any time you need.

With good wishes,
Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.

Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk

We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

abbxx

Post by abbxx »

Thanks Michele!

I have had another rise in hcg today but only to 55 so the pregnancy is obviously not normal but they are saying to wait now for ten days and go back for a scan to see if they can see anything then.

I know this sounds dramatic but I feel as though they are waiting for it to grow so they can see where it is. But surely this defeats the object of them trying to avoid surgery to save my only remaining tube?

Is it possible for it to rupture where it is with such a low HCG? What I don’t understand is that based on last time we had unprotected sex I must be at least seven weeks pregnant so a hcg of 55 is obviously not normal for this far along?

Why aren’t they giving me methotrexate yet?

So so confused.

abbxx

Post by abbxx »

Just an update, my bleeding has completely stopped now for 2 days and pain has subsided.. but I am still testing positive on preg tests, if anything they are getting slightly darker, however still very light for saying I should be nearly 8 weeks pregnant?

ChaoticBlues

Post by ChaoticBlues »

I had something similar. My hcg increased so I knew I was pregnant, but it then decreased, so was told I was miscarrying, it then doubled, the doc scanned my womb and tubes but couldn't see anything so said pregnancy in an unknown location. It's frustrating that they couldn't see anything and 100% confirm it. My HCG was 4,600 when it was diagnosed as that so had to have injection. Hope you're doing OK.

abbxx

Post by abbxx »

Hi chaoticblues, so sorry for your loss. This is my concern, that they’re never going to actually tell me where it is and what is going on :( I wish they had just given me the injection last week as I’ve been on and off bleeding now for 3 weeks and it’s just frustrating. I’m going to ask for it when I go back in to my gynae department I think, because if my HCG levels are that low at below 100, they aren’t going to see it on a scan anytime soon are they. How were you after the injection? Were you unwell? X

KellyMay

Post by KellyMay »

Hi

I’m currently going through a pregnancy unknown location.

It’s very confusing as the scan shows no baby or anywhere inside me, I’m scared because I don’t no if it’s an ectopic pregnancy or not, I keep getting pressure in my low back that comes and goes, they keep checking my bloods, I’m scared to go home incase it is ectopic and my partner goes back to work I may panic if something happens, I’ve not my 2 year old as well. I’m just really scared.

EPT Host 21

Post by EPT Host 21 »

Dear KellyMay,

I am sorry to hear you are currently going through a pregnancy of unknown location. It can be a very confusing and worrying time and it is understandable that you are scared to be alone and away from the hospital.

I am not a medical professional and with limited information on your pregnancy I cannot say what is happening or give an explanation for the pain you are getting in your lower back. The abdominal pain you experience when having an ectopic pregnancy often presents in the following ways:

• One- sided pain in your tummy which may be persistent or intermittent. The pain can begin or build gradually.
• Discomfort with bloating and a feeling of fullness (not associated with eating) when lying down, particularly if you have already had a child.
• Significant lower abdominal and/or back pain.

Back pain can be very common in pregnancy, especially in the early stages and be nothing to worry about, the NHS details more information on this here: https://www.nhs.uk/pregnancy/related-co ... back-pain/

It is important that you listen to your body, and most importantly you are being monitored closely, so if you have any increasing concerns this will be diagnosed and managed quickly and safely. I am hopeful for some good news for you at your next appointment.

Sending love and good wishes,

Sophie
The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.

Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk

We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Mrs_moo

Post by Mrs_moo »

Hello, I am going through very similar and just posted a post above. I too am going back for bloods on Friday and potentially methotrexate if they haven’t dropped. My head is mashed which I’m sure yours probably is too.